Thread: use extracted attribute table to modify block's attributes

Active Member Neo_Richard_Blake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default use extracted attribute table to modify block's attributes

Okay, I can't even find this question anywhere, let alone an answer...

I have a drawing containing over two hundred power poles. These power poles are blocks with attributes. The attributes have been extracted into a table for easy reference. I now have changes to make to each of these blocks' attributes. Is there a way to use the data extraction table to modify the attributes rather than having to modify the blocks' attributes individually and then having to re-extract the data? I really don't want to do this individually...it'll take forever.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: use extracted attribute table to modify block's attributes

Hi

When you say you have extracted the attributes into a table do you mean an excel table or a AutoCAD table within the drawing? Reason for asking is I want to extract into a ACAD table but I have read it is not possible in LT only AutoCAD.
    Or have you added fields into the table linked to the attributes?

Regards
    Alexander

Login to Give a bone

It is extracted into ACAD, I actually didn't extract it. I just have to work with it. My lead has full AutoCAD and she extracted it. Now I get to fuss with the details.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Full AutoCAD could, depending on method of extraction that resulted in the Table you have: find out more about that process and your question may be answered differently for LT.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think I understand your answer Dean...you mean that there are some ways of extracting which will let the table effect the attributes? What is that method? Even if it's an ACAD thing and not an LT thing. I'm trying to build up more justification for a full version license rather than only an LT license for me. Someone has already asked me once for a 3D object, but I can't accommodate that, obviously. So, I'm trying to build a list of things that I get asked for, yet can't perform (either efficiently, or at all) because of my tools.

Also, if there's still an answer for LT, I'd love to hear it. Even if it's a no, then at least I'll stop looking.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: use extracted attribute table to modify block's attributes

Sean,
    I have looked into this myself with a complicated drawing with many blocks and attributes. I managed to create a table with fields which are linked to the specific attribute, once the attribute has been modified you type REGEN and the table updates which you can then link to excel. This worked well but I was asked to create the facility of controlling the blocks/attributes from the table or excel. I have yet to find a solution and hope someone else can suggest anything.
    The only thing I can think of is a Diesel program which I have no experience.
    Don't knock LT, after all it is basically the core program of the full version without 3d and lisp, I'm a big fan of LT but use other software for my 3d work.

Regards
    Alexander

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Alexander. I knew about being able to update the table from the changed attributes (just forgot until you mentioned it. ) I was just hoping to find a workaround to go the other direction. That seems sort of like a big thing to me, so I'm actually surprised that it isn't a capability.

And don't worry, I'm not knocking LT. I'm just not used to it yet. I've used the full version for my entire (yet short) career as a drafter so far, so it's just taking some thought to not use 3d or LISP. I used to live in 3D exclusively and it's like I'm trying to learn to write with my off hand sometimes. It works, but it feels like it should be more efficient. Again, thanks for the help. If I ever find a solution I'll be sure to post it back here.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

In LT, explore this topic in HELP:
    http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDLT/2011/...0acaf-6be7.htm
    Is that how the setup was done in your file? LT is limited to the capabilities of the old ATTEXT command, full AutoCAD has DATAEXTRACTION command and appears to be more of what you seek:
    http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/EN...fc2d5ffb1-7ffb