Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request for CAD Standards literature

Login to Give a bone

Default Request for CAD Standards literature

I am tasked with establishing new CAD standards for the firm that hired me. It is one of several hats that I am to wear in my new job. I am looking for a book(s) to help guide me, and the firm, along the path of establishing best practices, as well as the basics (lineweights, pen tables, layer naming conventions, etc.)

I do not want to re-invent the wheel, but I want something firm to stand against as I request several architects to change their habits....

Can anyone recommend a book or two for me to look at for this?

T.I.A.

mmiles

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Request for CAD Standards literature

I'm not aware of any books that are explcitly devoted to CAD standards, [might be worth writing one though... ]

Especially if you are dealing with architects, your most authoritative source would be the National CAD Standards v5 (www.nationalcadstandard.org)

You can also look at the Federal government, CoE, NavFac, VA, NPS, GSA, etc. Almost all of their requirements derive from the NCS.

Harvard has a derivative on-line at http://www.upo.harvard.edu/campuspro...standards.html

cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Request for CAD Standards literature

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    I am tasked with establishing new CAD standards for the firm that hired me. It is one of several hats that I am to wear in my new job. I am looking for a book(s) to help guide me, and the firm, along the path of establishing best practices, as well as the basics (lineweights, pen tables, layer naming conventions, etc.)

I do not want to re-invent the wheel, but I want something firm to stand against as I request several architects to change their habits....

Can anyone recommend a book or two for me to look at for this?

T.I.A.

mmiles
    Hi there! I'm going to move this from the AutoCAD General forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

(try scrolling below this post to see the "similar threads" feature, that might give you some extra information, too)

Good luck in your new role!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Here's an example of what NOT to do... all 609 pages worth

FDOT CADD Production Criteria Handbook

Note - The above linked document is technically not for AutoCAD, but the point stands.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

all i can say to that is and more

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    all i can say to that is and more
    Cheers! :stein:

Adopting, understanding fully, and adhering properly to that type of monolithic, CAD Nazi Standard is about as likely to happen as a cat solving a rubik's cube:

LoL

It (the CPCH) is a document that is +10 years old, and has seen little variation from it's original structure. On one hand, that's good for them, as it has been maintainable, however given the capabilities of the current technology, they *should* demand some serious overhauling to strip out the plethora of garbage, and streamline.

For example, the require project directory *starts* with +50 directories... all of my current projects are executed *strarting* with 5. It's nuts.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Request for CAD Standards literature

Soooooo, as per your "request for CAD standards", did you get any? Because I too am looking to establish some CAD Standards as well in my company and am in need of any online or electronic files someone might be able to share.
    If someone could throw me an email at beebegs@hotmail.com, I'd appreciate it immensely. Greg

Login to Give a bone

What industry (or industries) are you looking for? And did you check out the Harvard College info mentioned above? or the National CAD Standards? As well, you could look at ahttp://academics.triton.edu/faculty/fheitzman/Triton%20Drafting%20Standards%20Manual.pdf

For a derivative of NCS that's currently in government use, explore the CAD/BIM Techology Center for USACE, at https://cadbim.usace.army.mil/CAD

lots of stuff there that's useful as a starting point for company standards.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by beebegs View Post
    Soooooo, as per your "request for CAD standards", did you get any? Because I too am looking to establish some CAD Standards as well in my company and am in need of any online or electronic files someone might be able to share.
    If someone could throw me an email at beebegs@hotmail.com, I'd appreciate it immensely. Greg
    Perhaps this will help:

Autodesk Unviersity, CM319-2, CAD Standards: How to Get Started

Course handout (<- Direct link)

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by beebegs View Post
    If someone could throw me an email at xxxx, I'd appreciate it immensely. Greg
    If you subscribe to this thread, you will not have to publish your email address for others. You could then get any updates as they are posted, which benefit all AUGI members that visit this thread.

This would also prevent email spammers from getting access to your private email address.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast