See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimension in Revit MEP

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimension in Revit MEP

Hi,

I have drew a tank as a family and imported it into a project. I have set up my sheet etc and now I want to add dimensions but I'm having problems. I am try to dim up the thickness at the top of a wall but it will only let me snap to one side of the wall (attached image).

This happens in a number of places. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension in Revit MEP

The two sides being dimensioned must be parallel.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    The two sides being dimensioned must be parallel.
    Sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean? I have drew this on my family its a pretty straight forward wall that tapers from 750 at the base up to 300 at the top. the 300 at the top wont let me dim but the 750 base will. How does that work?

Thanks for your reply.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The sides of your tapered wall aren't parallel. Once you initiate the dimension tool it sees the angle of the initial side picked and then takes that angle. When you go to the other side of the wall the Revit dimension doesn't even see that as a plane, so you can't pick it.

If you can dimension the one side (750) but not the other Revit must see the intersection as a point, rather than the face or you have a small portion of that wall that is parallel.

See if you can tab over the intersections while in dimension and get a point rather than a face.

Bottom line is if they're not parallel than you won't be able to dim.
    Last edited by Jrobker; 2011-06-27 at 06:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

The sides of your tapered wall aren't parallel. Once you initiate the dimension tool it sees the angle of the initial side picked and then takes that angle. When you go to the other side of the wall the Revit dimension doesn't even see that as a plane, so you can't pick it.

If you can dimension the one side (750) but not the other Revit must see the intersection as a point, rather than the face or you have a small portion of that wall that is parallel.

See if you can tab over the intersections while in dimension and get a point rather than a face.

Bottom line is if they're not parallel than you won't be able to dim.
    Thank you for your post.

I tried the tab option but that didn't work either.

In the Family when I have drew this structure I can draw a section line and dimension everything with no problems at all but once this family is imported into my project the problems start.

There is one wall which is 500 wide I have checked it several times in the family but when I go to dimension it up in the project it comes out at 502 Is there something in my project that would be causing this?

Also if I draw a pipe the edges are all rough (see attached image) but it prints OK (thankfully). If I draw some pipes in a new project they are perfect with no rough edges.

Again is there something I am doing wrong in my project that is causing this to happen? it's very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Login to Give a bone

Oh I'm having aq nightmare here. I never thought that in Revit drawing up the sturtures would be the easy part and dims would prove so much difficulty.

I have just drawn a new section perpendictular to a tank. The top of the wall is 300mm wide - I have checked this several times in the family and have even re-drew it but yet when I come to dimension it up (see attached) it is coming out as 323!!!!!

What on earth is causing this??

Also if I select the outside wall (to the left) thats a 300 thick wall with no tapers but yet when selected it is showing some other lines in the background?

The worst of it is I have to export these files to dwg to send as an issue and these dims are all over the place

If it helps I will upload the project/Family for you.

Thanks again.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

About 99.9% of using revit is tricking it with workarounds. You might have to use dimensioned detail lines.
    Try this...
    In section draw 2 detail lines from the intersection of the 300mm wall and dimension those details lines. Do you get the same 323 result?

Login to Give a bone

About 99.9% of using revit is tricking it with workarounds. You might have to use dimensioned detail lines.
    Try this...
    In section draw 2 detail lines from the intersection of the 300mm wall and dimension those details lines. Do you get the same 323 result?
    Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I have self taugh myself Revit MEP in the last 2 months and at times I have had to use detail lines to draw over structures and then dim up from them - surly I don't have to do that everytime do I?

Anyway here is what you asked me to do and it still comes out at 323......

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It doesn't look like either the detail lines or the the dimensions are picking the correct points on your family, like they're shifted to the right.

Why don't you upload the family and I'll take a look and try dimensioning myself.

Login to Give a bone

It doesn't look like either the detail lines or the the dimensions are picking the correct points on your family, like they're shifted to the right.

Why don't you upload the family and I'll take a look and try dimensioning myself.
    Could it be something to do with my section line or the plan view that its drawn on?

The family is attached.

Thanks again for your effort.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast