Thread: Array distance linked to scale distance

Login to Give a bone

Default Array distance linked to scale distance

Is it possible to link the distance of an array action to the distance of a scale action? Example: The attached batt insulation block. I want to be able to insert the block and grab the scale grip and scale the block to fit the cavity it is being used for. Then, I can grab the grip for the array and make it fill the length of the cavity. This works well if I do it in the reverse order, but not in the order I'd prefer. Also, if I do it in the order that does work and then I go back and mess with it again (say the cavity got larger or shorter), then it seems to get all out of wack.

Any suggestions will be taken to heart and bastardized to my hearts content.

Thanks in advance,
    Beardking
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Array distance linked to scale distance

It seems like you would be stuck doing it in the order you described. You set the array up with a ½” increment so any time you invoke it, it moves ½”, regardless of scale. However, if you initiate the array first, you can scale the object and the resultant array as well. But as you’ve noticed, if you adjust the array again, it reverts back to ½” spacing. Using this method, I don’t see a way around this.

I wonder if you could set something up with a lookup table and predefined options for length and scale?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Array distance linked to scale distance

Arrays do not scale as you ask though it would be nice if the column offset could be multiplied as you are looking to do.
    I've used a Hatch to get to what you want though I think the same problems persist.
    Attached Files Attached Files