See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2015-08
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Posts
    41
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    I am trying to combine (2) text fields using a calculated value in my schedule. The two text fields are "Type Comments" and "Mark". We use these for tagging our equipment and would like to export the combined field to Excel.

    Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    I could stop if I wanted to RevitNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007-09
    Posts
    490
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    I would seriously doubt you can "calculate" between two text values. I would guess that the fields would at least have to be "number" or "integer" type.

  3. #3
    All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Join Date
    2003-07
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    531
    Login to Give a bone
    1

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    You can not directly combine text strings. An interesting work around is that you can use a little math to display what you are looking for. By setting an integer value a text string can use a formula to check for a series of numbers with a nested IF statement.

    Please see the attached image.

    The formula I used is:
    if(integer = 1, "Show text string 1", if(integer = 2, "Show text string 2", "ERROR"))

    If you wanted additional notes you can keep adding to the nested IF statement.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jake Boen, Architect
    www.InPlaceArchitecture.com
    www.BIMproductivity.com
    Tucson, Arizona

  4. #4
    I could stop if I wanted to RevitNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007-09
    Posts
    490
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Quote Originally Posted by archjake View Post
    You can not directly combine text strings. An interesting work around is that you can use a little math to display what you are looking for. By setting an integer value a text string can use a formula to check for a series of numbers with a nested IF statement.

    Please see the attached image.

    The formula I used is:
    if(integer = 1, "Show text string 1", if(integer = 2, "Show text string 2", "ERROR"))

    If you wanted additional notes you can keep adding to the nested IF statement.
    Hope this helps.
    Very Slick!!!

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    2004-06
    Posts
    77
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Hello,

    You can also add both parameters (because they are system params) to the label as shown here:

    http://screencast.com/t/LGhOZ9cDFQ

    Cheers,
    Glynnis Patterson
    www.ideatebimlink.com
    Regards,

    Glynnis Patterson, Architect
    www.ideatebimlink.com | www.ideateexplorer.com

  6. #6
    All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Join Date
    2003-07
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    531
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Quote Originally Posted by glynnis.patterson View Post
    Hello,

    You can also add both parameters (because they are system params) to the label as shown here:

    http://screencast.com/t/LGhOZ9cDFQ

    Cheers,
    Glynnis Patterson
    www.ideatebimlink.com
    Glynnis,
    That example is for creating tags. The original question was for combining text strings in a schedule.
    Jake Boen, Architect
    www.InPlaceArchitecture.com
    www.BIMproductivity.com
    Tucson, Arizona

  7. #7
    100 Club Gene Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Posts
    103
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Smile Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Folks, I actually do this all the time for special reporting needs and instances when I need more descriptive color code plan legends or descriptive report data. I create a "placeholder" parameter to receive the joined text, then I coincidentally use Glynnis's "BIMLink" tool to export my data out to excel format. Open in MS Access and manipulate the multiple text fields into whatever format/joining desirable. Re-import into Revit via BIMLink. The downside is the data is not dynamic and requires repeating these steps. But it only takes a couple of minutes which is negligible when I really need the customization to the legends or reports.

    Coincidentally I also use the method described by Archjake (formula/variables) when there is a need for the data to behave dynamically in a true "BIM" fashion. I will admit this is the best way to go when time permits, the data is changing a lot, and there is a repetitive need.

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    2011-06
    Posts
    6
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to use an if/then statement in a door schedule using the Type Mark as the driver for the new parameter. No matter what it always returns the "Improper use of Boolean Expression" error. Is there anything special about using Type Mark in an if statement that might cause this? I know I've got my syntax right. I'd really appreciate some feedback if anyone knows what the issue is. Thanks!

    2013-07-08_1005.png

  9. #9
    All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Join Date
    2012-01
    Location
    Site of the next CADaclysm
    Posts
    813
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    Quote Originally Posted by haney8604551873 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to use an if/then statement in a door schedule using the Type Mark as the driver for the new parameter. No matter what it always returns the "Improper use of Boolean Expression" error. Is there anything special about using Type Mark in an if statement that might cause this? I know I've got my syntax right. I'd really appreciate some feedback if anyone knows what the issue is. Thanks!

    2013-07-08_1005.png
    Revit does not allow Text Parameters or strings to be used in conditional statements, so you cannot even use "Type Mark = Type Mark" as a conditional statement.
    Corey D.Please let the saying "The only stupid question is the one not asked" not be seen as a challenge to defy it.

  10. #10
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2018-01
    Posts
    1
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Calculating Values in a schedule with Text parameters

    You Can combine 2 text fileds using dynamo (which add 2 parameter values in a 3rd parameter and this 3rd parameter is the one which is filtered by in the schedule then you can create a tag family by this 3rd parameter.

    you can find attached image showing dynamo for this issue.Dynamo1.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2013-06-08, 04:52 AM
  2. 2013: Calculating room parameters
    By ricsivahl in forum Revit Architecture - General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2013-03-17, 04:26 AM
  3. Calculating the lighting load for a area in a schedule in Revit MEP
    By Enlightened in forum Revit MEP - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2010-05-25, 06:57 AM
  4. RAC 2009 - Calculating Roundup Values
    By designviz in forum Revit Architecture - Families
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2009-10-07, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2008-11-13, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •