Thread: pesky radius

Login to Give a bone

Default pesky radius

I have a family of arched precast tub beams. The radius for the extrusion used to create the bottom of the beam changes when placed in the project. If I edit the family everything looks like it should. But in the project somehow the piece is changing.
    I really don’t need them to flex but I used a beam template just to have all of the other parameters for beams. I confess that the way the ends of the beams work is still somewhat a mystery to me even after reading all I could in the User Guide. I appreciate any help, ideas or comments anyone can provide.

Best regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: pesky radius

For anyone interested, through step by step reversing my way through the process ( by this i mean i would undo a step in the family and then reload it into the project until the bottom corrected itself) i was able to figure out that the problem was eliminated when instead of mirroring the extrusion of the sloped side to create the opposite sloped side, i just created another extrusion for the other sloped side. I have not figure out what caused the problem, but now, i have no problem. BLACK BOX TECHNOLOGY maybe, but probably just my ignorance. so I’m still looking for any insights. :O)

Login to Give a bone

Why don't you try to use the blend tool to extrude your shape. This might work better, so you won't need the voids to cut your shape. I would do half of the beam then mirror it, then add any other pieces you might need as solids (extrusioins).

Login to Give a bone

Looking at this again you would not have to do them in halves, you could do them just how you did in 3 segments, however the middle one you might have to do in two blends.
    Last edited by Jmassaro; 2011-07-08 at 05:42 PM.

Login to Give a bone

i'll give a go. not sure i know how to use the blend tool to get the radius on the bottom between the two vertical ends. Maybe a swept blen would work? i really like using revit but its a big learning curve for me. thanks for your reply.