Thread: Contour Label Orientation

I could stop if I wanted to cek's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Contour Label Orientation

The site contour label appears to orient the label text such that the text is viewed from the lowest elevation. In other words you stand at the lowest point on the site to read the contour labels correctly.

If your site slopes down from east to west the contour labels are upside down relative to the sheet title block. This is a break for the bottom / right viewing convention for text.

Is there a way to control this orientation?

I checked the contour label type as well as the Massing & Site tab but couldn't find a control for this attribute. I even placed the label line in a left to right and then a right to left manner, which would seem to be the way to control orientation, but this had no affect on the contour label orientation. I also rotated the label line after placement to see if the text locked to the line but this action had no affect in changing the label orientation.

Seems like this would have been brought up in Revit 2001 and already addressed but I can't seem to find a thread on it.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Contour Label Orientation

Another Revit quirk with no fix, sorry.

Login to Give a bone

The label is always aligned with the contour line and always reads uphill, no matter what the contour line orientation is. It has always been this way, there is no fix, and yes it's very annoying.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Contour Label Orientation

Guess I'll have to default to a manual work around. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked. Seems like a great fix for a novice programmer at Autodesk to cut their teeth on.

Thanks for confirming what I hoped was just a lack of application knowledge but turned out to be just a lack of application capability.

Login to Give a bone

Manual? I definitely wouldn't go that route. Not in a million years. Sure the contour labels may not look 100% perfect, but they get the job done. In the past 7 years of using Revit I cannot recall any contractor calling to tell me that my contour labels are upside down.

Login to Give a bone

Ideally I would like to see the initial orientation based on how the label contour line was laid down with a rotation override for each label.

With respect to living with what Revit gives you, it's easier to accept the status quo, of Revit, if you have no office graphic standards driving this particular issue as we do here.

Just fighting the uphill battle through a swamp of "I could have done that better or faster in AutoCAD" The last thing I need is to give the AutoCAD faithful another bullet to shoot me with.

Login to Give a bone

Just show them that you can place the labels, and then later go back and adjust grades in the topo surface, and all the labels update automatically as the contour lines change positions. That might make some believers out of them.

IMHO a CAD standard should never be such a hard-fought rule that you have to jeopardize project coordination and information just to make it look a certain way. But that's just me.

Login to Give a bone

So basically, you either get upside down topo number, or you only work on projects where the slope of the terrain is from top of page to bottom of page... or you can rotate your entire project upside down and have fake north arrows. This is in perfect keeping with most things Revit! Hey Autodesk, hi-five bro!

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Just show them that you can place the labels, and then later go back and adjust grades in the topo surface, and all the labels update automatically as the contour lines change positions. That might make some believers out of them.

IMHO a CAD standard should never be such a hard-fought rule that you have to jeopardize project coordination and information just to make it look a certain way. But that's just me.