Thread: CUT PATTERN NOT DISPLAYING ON STRUCT BEAMS

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default CUT PATTERN NOT DISPLAYING ON STRUCT BEAMS

Hello,
    I'm working on a wood framed house and my Columns and Beams do not display in the same way. I've looked in visibility graphics, and set both cut representations to the same lineweight and pattern. Only my columns display the proper wood grain. the cut representation of my beams is just plain white. how can I correct this problem without having to trace filled regions around all of my structure? I was thinking i could nest a detail compnent into the beam. but it should work correctly just with Vis Graphics, right?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CUT PATTERN NOT DISPLAYING ON STRUCT BEAMS

Check on properties for each of the two different families (check the one that DOES work first)
    When I say properties I mean select a beam and click "edit family" and open the family for viewing.

In here you should see the wood grain in a end view of the family.
    See if it is done already as a filled region, or linework etc.
    Also, once you click on the symbolic woodgrain linework or detail item within your beam family, you will be able to see the properties of that item and it will likely be set to ONLY show at one of the "Coarse, Medium, or Fine" detail settings. I would suggest it only appears at FINE.

Open your other family that ISNT working, and make it the same as the other one that does work for you.

Alternatively you can over-ride in VIEW (which will only work in that active view not across your whole project) and set your CUT pattern as desired.

I would suggest that editing the setting in the family is a better option as it will work in all cases rather than just one view.

Oh and once you edit your family be sure to save it, and LOAD INTO PROJECT then overwrite the existing duplicate family before it will update in your project.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure how you're framing it, but if you're using column families, check the for the "Show family precut in plan". IMHO this shouldn't be checked.
    Also most materials on structural items don't show at course detail level by default.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hey,

I can't get the correct cut or surface pattern to appear on my structural beam. I want the conventional double lines at 45 degrees that represent steel. I have tried changing these settings in the material, Graphic Override and Visibility Graphics. The pattern I am getting is double lines at 90 degree angles. Can someone please help me fix this!!! Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Congrats on your first post.

I don't know for sure in Revit Arch, but in Structure, the material cut pattern by default is by "material" (unless it's overridden etc).
    And so to control that you go into your materials browser and make sure the cut pattern for that material is what you want, ie: "steel".

See screen shot