See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: NEC clearances and clash detection

Login to Give a bone

Default NEC clearances and clash detection

I'm looking to add NEC clearances to electrical families so that any interferences can be detected by Revit. Do I have to just add geometry that represents clearances or is there a way to do this through parameters. I'm really new to Revit and am trying to get all this figured out before we actually begin any project work.

Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NEC clearances and clash detection

i've built the clearances into my panel families. it's a cube (transparent cyan, with a dashed outline, so it looks like glass in 3D) the size of the front of the panel, with a depth parameter, default 3', but you can change it. there is also a cube the size of the top of the panel that goes up. i don't remember the formula, but got it to go up to 10'AFF, you can also change it's height, or stretch it in section, up to deck. you should make these on a sub-category that other disciplines can turn off. you can also interference check the clearances, since they're a physical entity, against ducts, pipes, etc.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help Mike. I'll let you know how I faired.

Russ

Login to Give a bone

I found it helpful to add a ClearanceWidth parameter that is controlled by this statement (width refers to the physical width of the panel):
    if(Width > 2' 6", Width, 2' 6")

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhartmann View Post
    i've built the clearances into my panel families. it's a cube (transparent cyan, with a dashed outline, so it looks like glass in 3D) the size of the front of the panel, with a depth parameter, default 3', but you can change it. there is also a cube the size of the top of the panel that goes up. i don't remember the formula, but got it to go up to 10'AFF, you can also change it's height, or stretch it in section, up to deck. you should make these on a sub-category that other disciplines can turn off. you can also interference check the clearances, since they're a physical entity, against ducts, pipes, etc.
    Mike
    +1
    I use the same technique to identify clearances around HVAC equipment. (I use yellow instead of cyan so that it doesn't look like the Architect's glass, but any color with transparency and dashed outline is the way to go, IMO.) I noticed some manufacturer content shows clearance requirements with a 2D dashed detail line around the equipment. Not only does this omit clash detection, but it's not visible in section views. The visibility in all views is very important to me.

Login to Give a bone

Newbie question - how do you control the visibility for the clearance extrusion so it displays like a clearance (translucent w/ dashed outline)? I can't find that dialogue when editing the family.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post
    Newbie question - how do you control the visibility for the clearance extrusion so it displays like a clearance (translucent w/ dashed outline)? I can't find that dialogue when editing the family.
    2011 RevitMEP, in the Family Editor:
    Open the Materials dialog box under the 'Manage' tab.
    Create a new material called "Clearance". Choose a color and transparency (I use Yellow, 70% transparency).
    Close the Materials window.
    Select the extrusion, open the properties window (if it's not already open)
    Under 'Materials and Finishes', change the material to 'Clearance'. Under 'Identity Data', Choose Subcategory 'Hidden Lines'.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Awesome, thanks!