Thread: Family Question - "automatically" select embedded families?

Login to Give a bone

Default Family Question - "automatically" select embedded families?

Greetings all, I just found the site and created an account. I'm 7 weeks into Revit and my head is swimming. I came across an issue today that I was hoping someone could give me a hand with...

I have a butterfly valve family (Nibco) that I have edited to include additional sizes. Whereas the original family went from 2" to 12", I've added the dimensions up to 24". Here's the problem...

The family has embedded families for a lever actuator and geared handwheel actuator. The original family "magically" inserts the handwheel for anything over a certain size. Problem is, it "magically" inserts the lever for the new sizes I created. Where is this "decision" defined in the family and how do I change how it behaves?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family Question - "automatically" select embedded families?

Its hard to say exactly whats going on without looking at the family but chances are there is an Instance parameter in the nested family that is mapped to a parameter in the Main Family. Just select the nested family and each instance parameters should have an = box next to them if they are linked to other parameters.

I would assume from your description that the Visibility of the Handwheel is being driven by a Yes/No parameter which is then being driven by a conditional statement.

Login to Give a bone

You're good...

Yes, there was a conditional statement for the visibility of the handwheel that referenced pipe diamater values. The lever was on a "not" logic statement. Thanks!!!!

Revit makes my head hurt.

Login to Give a bone

No problem. For only being at it for 7 weeks you are jumping into some advanced stuff so I wouldn't worry too much. It gets much easier it time.

Login to Give a bone

On a side note if you plan on creating and or modifying complex MEP families you should download Notepad ++ or similar. There are cases where conditional statements can get pretty long so you need an easier way to write / modify than in the formula bar. The reason you should go w/ Notepad ++ over standard notpad is because it does syntax hilighting which makes things easier to read. It also has the replace text feature which makes things nice if you want to build a formula library.