Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK Based System Wall Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UK Based System Wall Family

To make this work consistently there needs to be some industry agreed abbreviations to be used for naming conventions and I have put this to CPIC. A list is presently being generated and will be published as part of the updated Uniclass Layering system which also requires similar abbreviations to be used.
    Here is the basic logic.
    The Wall name should be split into 3 fields and these are:

Field 1 Separator Field 2 Separator Field 3 (optional)
    Usage _ Width Component _ WallType

Field 1 Usage will depend on the Usage classification defined within Uniclass which for walls is likely to be one of the following:
    • External,
    • Internal
    • Party
    • Retaining
    • Garden
    This will end with a _ as a separator.

Field 2 is the wall components and should be order from external components to internal component. The width of the component and abbreviation will be used. A list of agreed abbreviations will be published. Each component will be separated by a hyphen.

Field 3 (Optional) is to be used where walls contain the same components and widths but different materials have been assigned to them. May be the brick type is different or the block type etc. A project specific wall type reference can then be used to aid identification.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Paul

Thanks for the posting, and hopefully contributors to this post may identify some forms of construction or materials that perhaps CPIC have not thought off or perhaps included within their forming standard.

For those readers of this Thread who don't know who CPIC are, they are the Construction Project Information Committee, responsible for providing best practice guidance on the content, form and preparation of construction production information, and making sure this best practice is disseminated throughout the UK construction industry.

For more information on CPIC see http://www.cpic.org.uk/

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This Post has recieved 351 views in the last 7 days

Don't just Lurk out there, please contribute a wall make up

Login to Give a bone

Hi Alan, I've been starting to look at the naming of walls etc. in a bit more detail lately mostly driven by the future arrival of the National BIM Library (of which I see you are very aware).

I don't know how NBS have arrived at their naming conventions but I have decided to conduct a survey of the office to see how staff would name two different types of wall. My aim is to see what they prioritise, is it the overall thickness, composition of materials, internal/external etc? I will leave any feedback here so that it may help you.

I have downloaded your excel file on Revit System Wall Family Ver 1, I will give you some feedback once I have looked at it properly. I don't know if I'm joining the debate too late but I feel this is an important debate as we could have a system forced on us that will be here to stay for a long time so it is imperative that we get it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12