Thread: upgraded 2011 file, can't open parent plan

Login to Give a bone

Default upgraded 2011 file, can't open parent plan

Electrical consultant reports getting a fatal error when trying to open the parent power plan view (has 3 dependent views under it). The sheet views containing the 3 dependent views open fine, but the overall plan does not. Tried auditing the file while opening, no change. I tried detaching the file in Revit Arch and opening the same plan, still no dice.

Tried opening the file detached and discarding worksets, then opening that parent plan, still crashes. First it says there's a serious error and "strongly recommends" saving my work in a new file, and asks if I want to save a recovery file. Doesn't matter if I save a recovery file or not, the very next thing is a fatal error message and the program shuts down.

I tried opening a previous version of the file in 2011 and the offending view opens fine there. However my file and other consultants' files are already in 2012 so I'm not sure if using the old file will be an option. Any ideas as to why this might have occurred and how to prevent it?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: upgraded 2011 file, can't open parent plan

I have had a similar issue. In my particular case it was an issue with the Linked file and my model. To fix it I had to open the Linked file selecting open > workset All and then save the file. This would let me open my model without crashing.