Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit MEP 2012 Pipe Systems

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP 2012 Pipe Systems

Hi all,

I am having some issues with RME2012 Systems. By default Revit now assigns default systems to pipework (and ductwork) like Hydronic Supply 1, Hydronic Supply 2 etc.
    If your workflow isn't spot on (ie. me), and you start your systems in various different places, you end up with a range of default systems and I cannot seem to consolidate them into the ones that I want.

I.e. I have a layout with hot water reheat coils all over the shop. The pipework from each coil was started first before trying to join them up or systems created. The Hydronic supply systems from each coil have a default system applied to them. (Hydronic Supply 1, Hydronic Supply 2). I have a system created with 'some' equipment called 'HHW F', which controls all my filters. Every time I connect up an additional item, the system name I don't want - Hydronic Supply xx -seems to be applied (Murphy's Law?). I cannot remove equipment from the default systems and put them onto my main system via 'Add to system'.

What am I doing wrong?? Short of disconnecting all pipework and creating a system with all equipment how can I correct this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Revit MEP 2012 Pipe Systems

You can't consolidate them. So, you're going to have to change your workflow. So far, I don't make systems from equipment anymore. I make a system starting with a pipe. If you draw a pipe, it also assigns the pipe to a system (new for 2012), and you can change that system name to what you want for your filter. Then, any pipe connecting to it can be changed to that system name via drop down box (or it automatically changes to that system name). However, what is a huge problem for me is that I work simliar to you, in that I start adding piping for a particular system in several different spots in the building and then connect them together. You will not be able to do this in 2012. I have discussed this with my re-seller, who has confirmed this problem, but if there is anyone else out there with a reasonable solution, I'll be very happy.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP 2012 Pipe Systems

How annoying! Another example of Autodesk creating new features that cause more issues? Or perhaps just a matter of adjusting to a new workflow.

What i left out was that I DID somehow manage to consolidate systems on this same project (return but not supply), with the same pipework and equipment while in a rush and not really thinking about it. Now I can't remember how I did it!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I experimented around a bit on this one. Drew in some pipe on one side of the model as DHW, then on the other side of the model drew in some pipe as DCW. I then used the Trim/Corner command to bring them together. I did indeed then have DCW pipe connected into DHW. I then selected one straight segment (don't select any fittings) of the DHW pipe, changed it to DCW, and the change cascaded on down the line.

Login to Give a bone

It all seems a little inconsistent. Tried again today (same model, no changes) and was able to edit my main system and add the coils to the right system. I am POSITIVE this didn't work the other day.
    Then I had a few sections which still was on the wrong system type. Yes type, not name...I had some sections that came in as Hydronic Supply not Return. Changing a few fitting/pipe system types corrected this, although again not consistently. (Some pipes wouldn't change but fittings would and vice versa?!)

So in the long run - got what I needed to do done, and came out even more confused than when I started

Thanks for the advice!

Ps. Will try that from the start next time Dennis. Cheers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    If your workflow isn't spot on (ie. me), and you start your systems in various different places, you end up with a range of default systems and I cannot seem to consolidate them into the ones that I want.
    Something that could help with this would be deleting the unneeded systems. Hover over an element that is part of a system, like a pipe, and use the Tab key to highlight only the system, then select it. You can then use the Delete key to delete the system.

HTH,
    Eric

Login to Give a bone

Very handy! Thanks Eric

Login to Give a bone

Hi All,
    I Have figured out a workout, but first some background information to make sure we are all on the same page.

I have been working on a 2011 project which recently got upgraded to 2012.
    After working in the new file for a little bit, I began to notice that some of my reheat piping started getting named HWS 1, HWS 2, etc.

I have come into the practice (it may or may not be the best practice) of only using type 'other' systems.
    This is because it always allowed me to right click on a connector of equipment, or a pipe starter and create/add to a system. That feature may have been changed in more recent Revit versions...
    Old habits die hard.

Anyway.. back to my workaround:
    1. I went into system browser
    2. Individually right clicked and deleted all of the HWS and HWR systems in the list.
    3. Go back to my equipment or pipe starter.
    4. Right click the connector and hit Create Piping System.
    5. A new 2012 popup window appears asking for more information:
    for system type i selected Other (as this is what I've always done)
    I simply named my system either HWS or HWR.

Once done, my reheat systems work like they always did in previous versions of Revit.

Login to Give a bone

This is Garfield Carey and I fully endorse the Workaround that PDH has proposed above!

Login to Give a bone

I would like to make an additional note to this discussion:

Autodesk just released Update 2 (Sept 2011) for Revit MEP 2012.

This has solved the issue entirely for my upgraded project.

I can now split piping for my type 'other' systems without any repercussions.
    Note that this was done on a freshly upgraded project using the same piping system setup as posted by me above in this thread.

What little release notes I could find on the update do not elude to such a fix.

This may be coincidental, so take it with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast