Thread: Searching for keyed notes in a view

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Searching for keyed notes in a view

A user in our office has done this...
    He added new keyed notes to the TXT file.
    He than went to add the keyed note in Revit and realized it wasn't available because he didn't reload the TXT file, so he hit escape thinking it would cancel the command. What it does is leaves the keyed note there with no key value. This places a new #'d keyed note with NO keyed note text in the schedule.

OK... now were are these mysterious keyed notes?

I cannot select all instances and isolate because the element that is being keyed noted has to be visible.

I cannot think of a workaround to simplify this rather than scanning the model views for that 1 keyed note.

I have the pleasure of fixing all of these and he has done this what seems like on every view.

Has anyone figured this one out?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Searching for keyed notes in a view

So he continued to "keynote" things after realizing he didn't reload the file and left blank keynotes all over the place? What elements do the keynotes he added reference? A specific category or many categories? Seems like you could do a window selection and filter for just the anotation...see which ones highlight and you don't see text. I'd have to mock something up to see for myself, maybe a bit later.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    So he continued to "keynote" things after realizing he didn't reload the file and left blank keynotes all over the place? What elements do the keynotes he added reference? A specific category or many categories? Seems like you could do a window selection and filter for just the anotation...see which ones highlight and you don't see text. I'd have to mock something up to see for myself, maybe a bit later.
    No he didn't continue.
    Every time you have to add new keyed notes to the TXT file you have to reload that file into Revit. So he would add a couple go into Revit, Oh **** and hit esc. Several times over the period of the project.

Yes, filtering so they highlight so I can see them jump out is what I had to do, but it was a pain trying to find that one out of many.
    You cannot filter and isolate for keyed notes because the category has to be visible in order to see them. He is keyed noting many categories so essentially for this to work. I would have to filter for keyed notes than pan around and add the element to the selection.
    If I am going to pan around and add I might as well look for the number that isn't working.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

here's what I tried, not sure I'm replicating the problem exactly but made a few oh **** keyed notes then went into the keynote schedule, then select in the schedule the erroneous notes, right click>show...which will take you to them and will be selected.

Or to make it easier to find, filter>"keynote text">equals> leave blank. That will filter out any that don't have keynote text associated with them as these will not. anything I'm missing?

scratch...it will delete that number keyed note through all your sheets, not advisable. sorry.
    Last edited by moliva; 2011-09-01 at 11:14 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

not sure if you've figured out another way but along the same lines as I said before, under sorting/grouping of your keyed note legend, check itemize every instance. It will have multiples of each key value and any that have no keynote text can be deleted. seems to work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Nice!
    I tried the schedule idea previous to my post, but couldn't come up with the correct configurations.

Itemize every instance is it.

Thanks Moliva