Thread: Curved Floor profile

Login to Give a bone

Question Curved Floor profile

Hi Revit Gurus, I am working on a theatre as built. The floor is level at the top then has a gradual curve slope down (towards stage) rather than a straight line slope. Then levels off again (with a curve)... approx. 6'-0" drop over 95'-0".

I remember reading a new feature in Revit 7 is ability to create curved floors...
    I don't see that option when modeing floors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bri

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curved Floor profile

Hi Brian,

I am guessing at exactly what you are after, but I think it is something like the exaggerated form I modeled in a couple of moments. This was done creating an In Place family floor by extrusion. Mine is 100'x100'.

Quick tutorial on how this one was done:

1) In level 1 plan view, I set two grid lines up, 100' apart, to represent the sides of the floor, but more importantly, to establish reference planes for when I begin to model the floor; grid 1 left & 2 right. (You can also draw reference planes and then name them in their individual properties dialog, which brings them to life and they will now appear in the
    "Work Plane" dialog box, which you'll use in a second).

2) Under the modeling tab in the design bar, select "Create" then pick "Floors" from the "Family Categories" dialog that appears. You will be prompted to name the floor, then push OK.

3) The design bar goes into family creation mode. Pick "Solid Form" then "Solid Extrusion" from the fly-out menu.

4) Before you begin to draw, pick "Set Workplane" from the design bar. The "Work Plane" menu appears, select the drop-down in the dialog, and pick "Grid 1". Then, from the next dialog that appears, pick "West" Elevation".

5) Now the West Elevation opens up, so you will be drawing the side profile of the sloping curve you want. I just drew a 100' line along Level 1, and then drew in a 6' high leg upward, then from that point I drew the profile of the wave shape with a spline-line sloping to the other end of the 100' level 1 line. I snapped the spline to the termination of the 100' line in order to close the extrusion loop. Then,,,

6) In the design bar, select "Extrusion Properties". Under "Other" set "Extrusion Start" to 0' (this sets the start of your extrusion precisely on your previously selected reference plane, Grid 1). Then set "Extrusion End" to the width of your floor (-100' for me, because my Grid 2 is -100' from my start point, "into" the screen as it faces me.

7) Then, select "Finish Sketch" then "Finish Family", and bim-blam you have a curve sloped floor.

Hope this was what you were after

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyGrey; 2005-01-15 at 01:39 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Curved Floor profile

Thanks Bill...thats what I needed to do

Login to Give a bone

Hi Bill.

I tried what you suggested and although the floor works i found that i was not able to schedule the area correctly. Maybe i am doing something wrong?

I could stop if I wanted to Mike Hardy-Brown's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I know this is a work around, but if you get creative on the roof extrude, you could possibly filter when scheduling and use this tool for the floor.
    However you have to always remember that it is roof when scheduling...

The Floor Area as a "floor solid" schedules an area of ±4m² whereas the same area on the roof extrude is ±186m² .

Having a look if there is another way.