See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: revit use so much ram! Help me

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit use so much ram! Help me

Open Task Manager and select the Performance Tab. Under Physical Memory take note of the 'Free' setting. You will notice that the longer you work on a Revit file the lower this number gets. When it gets low enough performance takes a hit and Revit starts doing all sorts of wonky things. At this stage I reboot and everything turns back to normal.

Login to Give a bone

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I am finding myself in a similar situation. Whenever I open a file, small or large, revit starts off using 1.5-2 GB of RAM and eventually creeps up to 7.5 GB. This happens with only one sheet view open. What is more interesting is that the amount of RAM used increases (Gigs at a time) even when I just move the mouse in the program (without clicking or really doing anything). I don't think it is a matter of needing more RAM because several coworkers computers (with the same amount of RAM) can open the same files and work on them at appropriate RAM levels of 3-4 GB. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

So I believe I found a solution to my own problem. Turns out, by enabling the "Use Hardware Acceleration" under Options-Graphics, the Memory issue was resolved. I believe enabling/disabling this feature depends on the type of video card you have. I have an NVIDIA Quadro FX 570, however, others in my office have different cards and find they need the "Use Hardware Acceleration" feature turned off. Hope this helps others with a similar problem!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johncubed209967 View Post
    Open Task Manager and select the Performance Tab. Under Physical Memory take note of the 'Free' setting. You will notice that the longer you work on a Revit file the lower this number gets. When it gets low enough performance takes a hit and Revit starts doing all sorts of wonky things. At this stage I reboot and everything turns back to normal.
    I don't believe this is correct. Maybe it's the "available" amount. My machine shows 12,247 MB total physical memory, with 6,143 MB cached, and 6,436 MB available. Only ~350 MB is listed as "free". But still, Revit is only using 2.5 GB RAM and it's been running on my machine for 2.5 hours now. I'll see what it looks like later on today.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsaquilayan350968 View Post
    So I believe I found a solution to my own problem. Turns out, by enabling the "Use Hardware Acceleration" under Options-Graphics, the Memory issue was resolved. I believe enabling/disabling this feature depends on the type of video card you have. I have an NVIDIA Quadro FX 570, however, others in my office have different cards and find they need the "Use Hardware Acceleration" feature turned off. Hope this helps others with a similar problem!
    So to be clear, you had that setting OFF before, and now you have it turned ON? I also run Hardware Acceleration turned on, using an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB graphics card, and I don't have any memory problems.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I do the following for every Revit computer. If the computer does not have a dedicated graphics card (512 MB minimum), hardware acceleration in Revit is turned off.
    Currently, my office recently purchased new HP 8570W notebook computers with Intel I7 Quad core processors and 32 GB DDR3 SDRAM (4 slots/sticks of 8 GB). Our IT manager swapped the SATA hard drives with Hybrid SSD/SATA hard drives. That combination allows 3 sessions of Revit 2011 (150 mb project file), 2012 (200 mb project file) and 2013 (450 MB project file) to run simulatenously in addition to Scene LT point cloud viewer and eight other Autodesk design programs open - AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Sketchbook Designer, Showcase, QTO, Inventor, Infrastructure Modeler. So far I have maxed out to only 18 GB of RAM only when upgrading/converting a 450 mb Revit 2012 project to 2013. It took only 40 minutes instead of 12 hours. The price for the new notebook computer was $2,500 including a 24" LCD monitor. Two years ago the same price would only yield a computer with only 8 GB of RAM maximum. Investing in latest hardware is mandatory for Revit use.

Login to Give a bone

Alright, so Revit has now been running continuously on my machine for nearly 9 hours. Cached memory is up to 6,400+ MB, and Available is actually UP to 7,200+ MB. Free memory is also up to almost 2,000 MB. And Revit is only using about 650 MB RAM at the moment. I would say my copy of Revit on my machine, anyway, manages memory just fine. No "leaks" to be found whatsoever.

Would have been interesting yesterday to watch the performance/usage while I was upgrading one of our larger project files, plus 4 other linked Revit files, from 2012 to 2013, running Audit on all of them and everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12