See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revit use so much ram! Help me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default revit use so much ram! Help me

I have a HP Dv6 with 6 gb ram, core i7 win 7, 1 card onboard Intel and an ATI HD 6770M. When I worked with a 20mb project, my revit 2012 64bit use 4gb ram. I think it's so much for a small project 20mb When I check on my friend's laptop, also revit 2012 64bit but it used just 1gb ram. Because my revit use 4gb and even 4.9gb of ram so it lagged and then crashed. Does anybody meet this problem? Please help me

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit use so much ram! Help me

Quote Originally Posted by station_lichtenberg_11_4694174 View Post
    I have a HP Dv6 with 6 gb ram, core i7 win 7, 1 card onboard Intel and an ATI HD 6770M. When I worked with a 20mb project, my revit 2012 64bit use 4gb ram. I think it's so much for a small project 20mb When I check on my friend's laptop, also revit 2012 64bit but it used just 1gb ram. Because my revit use 4gb and even 4.9gb of ram so it lagged and then crashed. Does anybody meet this problem? Please help me
    And if you have 24gb of ram it would probably use 20gb of it Its HUNGRY for ram...and it runs better the more ram you have
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

could anybody help me please

Login to Give a bone

okay...you didn't understand....there is nothing you can do...its going to use that amount of ram no matter how much ram you have.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Had a similar problem with an HP DV7. Try turning off Hardware Acceleration - go to options, then the graphics tab to find it. I found that my files run much more efficiently with it off on the laptop.

Login to Give a bone

Before I added RAM to my laptop, Revit would use 3GB out of 4GB total. When I upgraded to 8GB total, Revit used on average 6-6.5GB.

Revit will use as much RAM as it can so the more RAM, the better. I suggest you upgrade to the maximum amount of RAM you can put on your pc.

Login to Give a bone

I had a similar problem. 4Gb RAM can run out very quickly on a medium-sized project.

Even if I closed Revit, the Revit process would still hold on to RAM for a while. Only rebooting would quickly reduce the RAM used.

I tried CleanMem today and it seemed to work really well. Its URL is http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

Please let me know if CleanMem helps.

Login to Give a bone

Autodesk says that 4Gb RAM is the minimum on a 32 bit system and 8 Gb on a 64 bit system. I'm thinking you need more RAM.

Login to Give a bone

There's a pretty simple solution for this, buy more RAM.

I don't mean to sound trivial, but Revit really is hungry for memory, and depending on the size of your project/families/linked files, the required amount of RAM can vary significantly!

4GB is really way too little for a Revit machine however. As Autodesk writes, it's a bare minimum, as in minimum needed to boot Revit! I'm in a 23MB project right now but utilizing 9.1GB of RAM, so it could definitely be worse!

Login to Give a bone

Where are y'all looking to see how much memory Revit is using? I have a core-i7 quad system with 12 GB RAM, with Revit running a ~45MB project file, plus Outlook, Winamp streaming, several PDFs, several Windows Explorer windows, and Firefox, and right now Task Manager says 4.48 GB of memory is in use. Revit is using just over 1 GB right now. Even switching to a 3D view and spinning the model around doesn't change the amount of memory in use, not by much really. I have Hardware Acceleration turned on right now in Revit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast