View Poll Results: Door To / From Room enhancement.

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I'd like to see that.

42 93.33%
  • NO, that's no use to me.

2 4.44%
  • UNSURE, I will post my reasons for wanting something different.

1 2.22%

Thread: Door TO Room & FROM Room

Default Door TO Room & FROM Room

Doors Schedules for To & From Room should :-

1. Update if the door swing is flipped into another room.
    2. Allow the user to over-ride the default indication.
    3. Once over-ridden, warn that an OR is in place if the user attempts to change the condition.
    4. Indicate under the door's properties that an over-ride exists for the opening condition.

Refer to the original thread here.
    Last edited by beegee; 2005-01-15 at 03:09 AM.

Default Re: Door TO Room & FROM Room

Our firm would never use that tool; however, we would use a LH, RH, option on door schedule.

Trent,

Just to clarify :- Revit already schedules doors to and from rooms by door swing, when a door is first placed. At present, it does not update the schedule if the door swing is subsequently flipped.

Beegee is there a thread to help explain how to include the To and From rooms to the door schedule?

Found It in the pull down when I made the schedule thanks.
    Last edited by anthony.67953; 2005-01-17 at 01:53 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to The Sweg's Avatar

Red face Re: Door TO Room & FROM Room

I would have to agree with Trent. I did carpentry work for 12 years before learning how to even turn on a computer--and one thing I know for sure, is that you cannot order a door without someone at some point in time asking you if it's a Right Hand or Left Hand door. If I order a 2'-6" x 6'-8" (2668) door and don't specify right or left, regardless of swinging into or out of a room, we could still end up with the wrong door. Without designating the 'handing', you only have half the information needed. Of course, we do primarily residential and don't associate doors with rooms as in commercial--but, when there are 25 to 40 doors in an upscale house, it would be cool to have the 'handing' automatically included in a schedule.

I could stop if I wanted to

Totally agree with the need for a 'door handing' parameter, We have always scheduled this information. The To and From room options is obviously also needed.

100 Club

We need handedness (RH, LH) and we need every door to be associated with a room (instead of To and From a door can only be associated with one room). By default it is the room that the door swings into. However, we need to choose/override (via a drop down list) for the room to be the one it swings from. Changing the swing direction would not change which room the door is associated with (after the initial placement only a manual override would do that).

It seems it's that simple in my mind. We also need to be able to include the room number in a door tag. So I can place a door in room 101 and the tag says 101A, the next door I place in that room is called 101B.

Why is this so difficult?

I could stop if I wanted to jspartz's Avatar

I agree the door should be able to number itself by the room or override it.

I would love to use the to room/ from room fields but it's not possible when you put in curtain panel doors because that field does not associate with them, so they stay blank, and I can't type something in there on the schedule. It looks stupid to have some to room/ from room fields filled out and not others, so make that number 5 on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by jspartz
    I agree the door should be able to number itself by the room or override it.

I would love to use the to room/ from room fields but it's not possible when you put in curtain panel doors because that field does not associate with them, so they stay blank, and I can't type something in there on the schedule. It looks stupid to have some to room/ from room fields filled out and not others, so make that number 5 on your list.
    I second the idea to add some form of hand designation, some sort of better room association, and an override option. And I would think if the override option was easy to see, find, or toggle, it might not be the huge disaster everyone thinks it would be.

Right now the PM tears us apart when it comes time to schedule. We end up making fake columns in schedules to include information that is not present and faking a lot of other stuff like exterior rooms and curtain wall doors. I am all for parametrics and love the idea that we catch lots of issues with intelligent software, but I wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a little more control over certain key things...