Thread: ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT

Login to Give a bone

Default ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT

We have a user that is constantly getting fatal errors and crashing. Now it's happening when she creates new files as well. We tried Superpurging, Auditing, Purging registerd applications, cleaning the annotation scale list and reinstalling.

Using AutoCAD Architecture 2008 as AutoCAD (no Architecture components)
    Computer | Chassis Type Notebook
    Computer | Version KBC Version 38.32
    Processor | Speed 2.1 GHz
    Memory | Physical | MB Total 4 GB

Here are the errors she gets:

ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h Exception at 7635b727h

I've gotten a few fatal errors while working in her files on my own Win 7 computer and less on my XP computer.

Any help is appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT

Two things to do -- swap out the RAM in her PC with known good. buy new if you have to,

Second, look into using process monitor to track down what's actually going on at the moment of the crash. it might tell you what files are problematic/corrup if that's the cause.

also, consider that malware may be a factor -- virii and rootkits are often pretty buggy.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Two things to do -- swap out the RAM in her PC with known good. buy new if you have to,

Second, look into using process monitor to track down what's actually going on at the moment of the crash. it might tell you what files are problematic/corrup if that's the cause.

also, consider that malware may be a factor -- virii and rootkits are often pretty buggy.
    More tips on RAM:
    If the laptop has 2x2GB sticks, remove 1 stick RAM and try running with just one. This may be dependent on keeping the right slot occupied (example: the laptop will run with only one stick, but it must be in slot 'A', not slot 'B', or vice-versa) This is one way to isolate a bad stick, but buying new isn't a bad idea when RAM is cheap, and it is cheap right now.

Change your page file size to 4GB min, 4GB max. I like to 'force' my Page File to a specific size, no larger than my installed RAM. PF is slower than RAM, but it keeps you from 'running out' of RAM when large processes are running. This can be the difference between a 'lock-up' that freezes the PC for 2 minutes when you open something large, or a system crash.

For Malware, download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free. Even if your PC isn't having problems, it's a good idea to prevent them using MWB. The removal tool can get rid of the most persistent malware, even those nasty bugs that sink their hooks into the Windows registry. This brings up another point:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h
    This usually points to a Registry Error, not a memory error. I could be very wrong, but I've seen too many problems with Autodesk 2008 and later software with registry errors. It primarily happens on computers with previous versions of AutoCAD installed, and when the next version gets installed on top, the old registry remains behind to cause havoc sooner or later.

Login to Give a bone

So far her problem seems to be gone. We reimaged her computer on Friday. Sunday she go the ATTEMPTED TO READ OR WRITE PROTECTED MEMORY. THIS IS OFTEN AND INDICATION THAT OTHER MEMORY IS CORRUPT message and crashed out. Since then she has been fine and hasn't gotten the Fatal Error message.

Thanks for all of the tips. Should this monster rise again I will try them.

Login to Give a bone

If re-imaginmg the hard drive resolved the problem, then it's apparently _not_ a hardware problem with RAM, but a software problem. Best bet is some malware had been loaded onto the PC.