Thread: Flip dimension direction

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Flip dimension direction

Summary: Flip dimension direction

Description: When dimensioning sketches especially when dimensioning skeletal sketches good practice is to dimension to 0 rather than use sketch constraints as dimensions are easy to change but when changing a 0 dimension it can go either direction but if you could right click flip. This would save a lot of time having to delete the dimension and re-dimension the sketch the other direction.

Product & Feature: Inventor

Submitted: Tue, 04 Oct 2011

Default Re: Flip dimension direction

Quote Originally Posted by acadwishlist View Post
    but if you could right click flip. This would save a lot of time having to delete the dimension and re-dimension the sketch the other direction.
    I agree with this one. If for example I have a point that is dimensioned to be 3mm to the right of a vertical line but I want it to be 5mm to the left, currently I have to delete the dimension, move the point across and re-dimesion it. It would be good if I could flip it over the line by entering a negative dimension or something?

Is that what you are talking about?

Although I think using constraints against dimensions almost every time wins in sketch simplicity, this wish is, however, much like my wish too.
    In my opinion the dimension should allow negative values, for better support of skeleton and/or parametric modeling. In case of dimension value 0 it should be possible to show positive side of value somehow.
    Removing dimensions is a pain since the might be some linked dimensions for dimension parameter.
    Flipping dimension (non 0) side would lead to illogical behavior in linked parameters!

If you turn the dimension to a reference dimension, you can then drag the point to the negative area and the dimension shows negative value.