Thread: Layer Filters

Login to Give a bone

Default Layer Filters

I have AutoCAD LT 2008 soon to be LT 2012 and I also have AutoCAD 2012.

I would like to know if there is a way that I can set up a Layer Filter and transfer it from one drawing to another.

Ideally we would be able to do this in the LT version not full. If anyone can help it would be appriciated.

If there is some way to do this with Tool Palletes or Design Center that would be great.

I have a lot of users and all of them are at different experience levels. I need the easiest way to do this.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Filters

A Template would have all the standard information including Layer Filters in the drawing would it not?
    ADCENTER does not show Layer Filters.
    These need to be addressed in the Layer Manager and would be in the Template.

Login to Give a bone

I understand that you would typically set this up in your template file. But we typically work within an A/E drawing. So everything is set up and we just add to it. We dont get to start from scratch and use our own template file.

Is there anyway to tie a Filter to a Block?

I can create a block that has my layers and bring them in that way but the filter disapears.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

AFAIK the Layer Filters will be unique to the drawing and would need to be done on a case by case basis.
    I've looked thru some of the help files on Layer Manager and did not read anything that indicated that the Filter could be transferred. There is a Hotfix for previous versions because Layer Filters got out of control on their own.
    Adding to a block would not do because the block is just bringing in the Layer not changing the basics of the Layer Manager

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Importing/Exporting layer filters is a built-in ability or vertical versions of AutoCAD, but not LT or plain AutoCAD: although plain AutoCAD can overcome it with advanced programming not found in LT.

So... either your full AutoCAD seats are going to have to carry all the heavy lifting for your desired ability, or your LT users are going to have to INSERT these files (possibly XREF if you develop your filters correctly) into templates with saved Filters and use them that way.