Thread: New to Existing Pipe/Duct Connections

Login to Give a bone

Question New to Existing Pipe/Duct Connections

Hi all,

I'm working on a renovation of a mechanical room, I have chillers and pumps I'm removing and replacing. I'm having two issues that stand out:

1. When I change phase demolished to existing for selected equipment/pipe/ducts I receive an error saying "Elements need to be disconnected. When I click "Disconnect" every fitting/transition for duct and piping disconnect from each other and I see tons of the little explanation point deltas. When I tab the selected equipment/pipe/duct it only selects the highlighted one, the components truly are disconnected.

2. When trying to connect to existing pipe/duct the new construction pipe/duct wants to take the extent of new construction back to the next fitting. That works for a few areas but is not practical on many more. I have been using the "Split Element" tool to decide the extent of the demo pipe/duct, a coupling appears in the pipe and upon trying to reconnect to it with new construction it does not connect. I have also tried to put the coupling in as new construction but I have issues trying to reconnect as well.

I have tried to search for solutions and haven’t found much on it. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Ron

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New to Existing Pipe/Duct Connections

Revit doesn't do renovation work..lol. I had this same problem to. I think I just waffled it, and got the sheets to look good. JK. It is finicky, but unions help, and dont use the demolish tool until youre setting up your demo sheets. I fould just changing the phase in the properties worked, and did the demo on my demo sheet view after everything was nice and connected. This kept me from losing any fittings. Connections get wacky though. Just cross your fingers and hope there is time in the job for Revit to do its thing.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply.

So I have been working with the model more, and found out for some reason the demo pipe was actually connected to the existing pipe, that kept me from connecting to it in the different phase.

I have also been using the unions, and that seems to be working for our purposes.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unions do help, but there is still a lot of slicing and moving that go, scary. Next time Ill make two models, an existing/demo model linked into a new model, and use connectors to attach to existing. This way demo and existing cant move.

Login to Give a bone

If I'm not mistaken, the connectors won't pull through in a link. So you won't be able to connect to anything existing.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I want to say the linked models can talk past 2011, but Im not sure. But what I was planning on doing was to add connectors, which can be done by inserting the families from the imperial library > Mechanical Components > Connectors. This is a bit extra work in the beginning, but will save me from bumping and slicing existing equipment, which was a pain in the last renovation project I completed.

Login to Give a bone

Anyone make any progress with this topic. I am trying to extend an existing duct and everytime I try to connect new duct to old duct. Old duct becomes new and disappears from the existing plan

Login to Give a bone

With ductwork just add a union and it will work like a charm