Thread: DB Link

Login to Give a bone

Angry DB Link

Is any1 exporting/importing Revit data throu to MS Access???? or even Excel

Ive been told by our IT department that this is impossible for us as we are running 64bit OS but only running 32bit MS Office therefore the ODBC drivers are not compatible.......Is this right????

Help
    Last edited by KayMan; 2011-06-22 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling

I could stop if I wanted to David Haynes's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DB Link

Quote Originally Posted by KayMan View Post
    Is any1 exporting/importing Revit data throu to MS Access???? or even Excel

Ive been told by our IT department that this is impossible for us as we are running 64bit OS but only running 32bit MS Office therefore the ODBC drivers are not compatible.......Is this right????

Help
    You can use a program called Ideate BIMLink (www.ideatebimlink.com) that works well from Revit to Excel. Check out the videos for use cases. Ideate BIMLink works with all flavors of Revit (Arch, Structure, MEP) and for 2011 and 2012 versions.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have gotten Revit DB Link to work with a Windows 7 64-bit system that already has 32-bit Office installed. I'm testing with RAC 2012.

I downloaded the 64-bit database engine installer from this web site (option 2):

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=13255

When I run it, I get an error dialog that starts:

"You cannot install the 64-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 because you currently have 32-bit Ofice products installed. If you want to install 64-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010, you will first need to remove the 32-bit installation of Office products. After uninstalling the following product(s), rerun setup in order to install the 64-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010: ......(lists various 2007 products).........."

At first I thought it was a dead end, because it sounds like the 32-bit and 64-bit versions cannot be installed on the same machine. But I did as it said: I uninstalled the 32-bit Office products, installed Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 with the above download and then reinstalled my 32-bit Office 2007.

I was able to create a new 64-bit ODBC Access File Data Source. I was then able to export my Revit project to Access, make a minor change and import it back into Revit, where the change was reflected. Good stuff!

Also, my 32-bit Office 2007 all seems to be working okay. (Loosing our 2007 Office would have been a problem for us. Also, I suspect that my 32-bit ODBC driver may not work, but I don't care since we stopped using 32-Revit a couple of versions ago)

So far, that is all I have done, but the process looks like it works just fine for us. We still have a few XP64 and Vista 64 machines and we have several MEP seats, so I still have a bit of testing to do.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

One option to consider is using the Sql Server Express, which comes in 64-bit. It is a free download, though a bit intimidating compared to Access. If you are willing to go down the path, the only annoying thing is finding the correct ODBC for 64-bit versus 32-bit.

32-bit ODBC are accessible via C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.
    64-bit ODBC are accessible via C:\Windows\System32\obdcad32.exe
    (I know, does not make sense - let me know if I got it reversed)

Good luck!