Thread: design options and models groups

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default design options and models groups

Wondering about using design options within model groups.

I have a townhouse development with 17 blocks of buildings where I have 8 or so different units types (In reality 16 types since there are "interior" and "end" units). There are 2 floors + foundation. Each floor is a model group, and then grouped into a larger "stacked" model group that I've copied across the site. I use a callout for each floor plan level.

Now the issue is that the units are currently modelled with a bumpout on the ends, and because of separation space, only some of the blocks need to have the bumpouts removed. I try to move the walls to a design option set while I'm editing the group, but it is not allowing me to do this. When I'm outside the group editor, and try to move the walls to a design option set, I get a warning which doesnt' allow me to send it to the design option set.

Anyone had a similar issue and know of a way around it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: design options and models groups

I think you'd have to do it the other way around, manipulate the model groups within the design option. i.e. Create a floor model group without the bumped out units. Have onr design option with the floor group with bumped out units, and the other design option with the floor group without the bumped out units.

Login to Give a bone

so in the model group, there would be a gap in the wall. design option 1 would have a straight wall infill, and option 2 would have a bumpout. Makles sense, but as far as I understand it, design options are global, and I can't have block 1 bumpout on the east end on, and the west end off. Or even between blocks for that matter.

perhaps back to cad for this project.

Login to Give a bone

I think what andrewg is suggesting is to have two model groups, one with the bumpout and one without it. (You can easily create a similar model group by duplicating one model group and subtracting the bumpout in your new model group.) Then in design option 1 use the model group without the bumpout where you want it and in design option 2 replace the model groups without the bumpout with the model group that does have it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by breckbaird View Post
    I think what andrewg is suggesting is to have two model groups, one with the bumpout and one without it. (You can easily create a similar model group by duplicating one model group and subtracting the bumpout in your new model group.) Then in design option 1 use the model group without the bumpout where you want it and in design option 2 replace the model groups without the bumpout with the model group that does have it.
    If I have two model groups, then I really don't need design options.I would just insert each as req'd.
    I was trying to avoid having too many model groups, since the more groups I have, the less the point of them.....they aren't saving time