Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your motivation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default What is your motivation?

Molivia, matt. etc. you know who you are. What drives you to help others? I need to know, what's in it for you?
    Last edited by Jrobker; 2011-10-26 at 08:32 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What is your motivation?

Mwhahahahahaaa!! *rubbing hands together*

It's all part of my master plan to take over the world!!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've always sort of been the "go to guy" in the office for any technical advice/issues. The first place I worked (a satellite office for an MOB-focused national architectural firm - Marshall Erdman, now Cogdell Spencer Erdman) I was known as the "CADD Liaison" at the time. I would keep in touch with the CADD department back in Wisconsin and relay any info to the handful of drafters/architects at the office. I would also assist in the installation of software (MS Office/ADT/etc...). I eventually got into customizing (LSP/DCL/VBA) and quickly noticed how much faster and consistently things could be done. That office eventually closed (I moved on just before it did) and I worked as "contract help" for another national firm that, at the time, was focusing on the wireless business in the Northeast.

Fast-forward 11 years...

I now work for a smaller firm focusing on CSMEPT (everything OUTSIDE of the building, INSIDE the walls and ceilings and UNDER the building - the stuff you DON'T see) When I started here we were using LDT (for Civil) and Microstation (for SMEP - the "T" came along later). Just like the other places, I was the customization guy... the guy who could create something out of nothing. And once the word started to spread about what I was doing (I started customizing for LDT since I knew AutoCAD) everything just sort of snowballed from there (in a good way).

I'm now the "CADD Manager" for the company and we've been using Revit S/MEP for about 3-4 years now. And with RMEP came a lot of headaches & questions... Why can't I do this? I can do it in AutoCAD!! Where is this symbol? And as a lot of you already know, RMEP was lacking content when it first came out. A LOT!! So, I had to once again customize and create stuff but this time it was for Revit.

I know I'm sort of rambling, giving you my career history and not really answering the question but... I guess I help others because in the end it really helps me. And it also helps the company make money and stay in business (which, again, helps me - put food on the table). I think a small part of it is the fact that I'm not really happy with just staying where I am. I want to grow as a person and professionally and monetarily too, to be honest and with all that I've been doing to help others it's all falling into place.

Does that make any sense??

(I didn't re-read this so I'm sure I probably don't make sense and/or repeated stuff a few times)

Matt

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Plus, I get my own office!!

Login to Give a bone

I help b/c some how word does get around and when I got let go 3-2010 that experience helped me get new work. So I figure it is a win win. And I learn too.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

mostly just to pay my dues so to speak. When we started with Revit MEP it was a jump in on a HUGE job and try and figure it out....these forums were extremely valuable and I really would not have made it through that initial job without it. I hope I can help when anyone needs it, just as the others helped me when I needed it, and to continue to add to this "resource".

and, like mwiggins says, I come here to learn too....which is why I'm usually hanging around here. (although I've been absent more lately). No better place to keep current w/ what's going on and new "workarounds".

plus, I like to ***** and moan from time to time about the frustrations.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moliva View Post
    plus, I like to ***** and moan from time to time about the frustrations.
    I've gotten past that point. Now I just **** and moan about the users who **** and moan about Revit.

I just keep saying to myself, "Welcome to the club!"

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

now to turn the question around, what's in it for you? You're one of the most seasoned users that remains active in the MEP forums....and usually have a great answer to a ton of questions.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The same exact reasons as you all.
    If someone has a question that I don't quite know, I'll try and figure it out. Helps us both.
    We all started in the same place and I think it's great that we are helping others get over the learning curve.

Adesk is looking more into social media. For us that's not a problem, but how do we get others to be as active? What is the trick...?

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    Adesk is looking more into social media. For us that's not a problem, but how do we get others to be as active? What is the trick...?
    I might suggest that getting "others active" isn't a problem. If anything we are in a world of information overload. Blogs, white papers, forums, Twitter, Google +, websites, etc.... there are literally thousands of people that contribute. This was much less true 5 years ago, but today "experts" are coming out of the wood work.

A better question is how do you get individuals to study and LEARN FROM the available information? We're in a society where we tend to look up and ask questions based on reactive scenarios (reacting to a current need) instead of proactive scenarios where we better ourselves and improve our knowledge. We have millions of dollars worth of value contributed online, yet very few individuals in an office in our professional world take the time to actually study it... particularly in their personal time.

So I'd say we do need continuing contributions, but we also need to encourage leveraging it for more than solutions. We need to leverage it for professional growth and business development. So instead of "finding answers" in the hands of others we should be "standing on the shoulders of Giants".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast