See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Using Revit for all HVAC Calculations

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Using Revit for all HVAC Calculations

Is anyone using Revit to Calculate ALL of their necessary HVAC information for selection of equipment?
    Supply Air
    Outdoor Air
    Exhaust (ERV)

Just curious to see if anyone is still using ASHRAE spread sheets to calculate these values. I have started creating some schedules for zones and spaces and working on a template for getting initial supply/outdoor air values from an early architectural model. I am trying to remove the process of printing an architectural plan, handing that to an engineer. Then have him/her write the room names and numbers, areas, blah blah blah, and then create a spreadsheet which is then just handed back to the tech to input the info.

The process is working well so far, I am working with an engineer whom is on board with the idea, but just wondering how far we can take it. We are still going to use trane to confirm loads, but early selection of mechanical equipment should move along much smoother now.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Revit for all HVAC Calculations

We use a program called HVAC Solution. It will pick the equipment and than go out and find the families and than load them into our project. It's a pretty slick transition for the mean time.

Login to Give a bone

KGC,

I know its been a while, since your post on this topic but have you successfully integrated the above workflow into your company's engineering procedures? Or perhaps to an acceptable level refined it to suit your needs today...if so would you be able to post an example of this workflow or how you would go about it. Thanks in advance.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Absolutely. We use this technique on every project we have done. We create the schematic with the program HVAC Solution. This program will size the pipe and select the equipment. Once we have the schematic complete, we have the software download the related RFA families and it will put them in a folder in the job directory. I than just go to the folder and drag and drop into revit. In revit there is a HVAC Solution add-in. This button allows us to import the schematics and the schedules that HVAC Solution has created. It creates a DXF file and imports them into individual drafting views. In speaking with the software company, they are currently working on applying shared parameter data to each piece of equipment. This way the schedules will be automatically populated in a revit schedule, rather than an imported dxf. HVAC_Solution.png

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    Absolutely. We use this technique on every project we have done. We create the schematic with the program HVAC Solution. This program will size the pipe and select the equipment. Once we have the schematic complete, we have the software download the related RFA families and it will put them in a folder in the job directory. I than just go to the folder and drag and drop into revit. In revit there is a HVAC Solution add-in. This button allows us to import the schematics and the schedules that HVAC Solution has created. It creates a DXF file and imports them into individual drafting views. In speaking with the software company, they are currently working on applying shared parameter data to each piece of equipment. This way the schedules will be automatically populated in a revit schedule, rather than an imported dxf. HVAC_Solution.png

Is that software still being supported?

there is hardly info on it and their site seems to have a bunch of dead ends

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, it is still being supported.
    I know last week they had to update their security certificate and the web site was down for a little.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Jrobker, you haven't been around often...things must be going fairly smooth on the Revit side for you these days?

I was interested in this software in the past but like most other programs never got around to checking on its usefulness. Are you using generic equipment families or are you able to pull manufacturers families and still be able to map data to those (I assume yes)? As for schedules, do you have to have schedules built in Revit with all parameters etc. prior to mapping with HVAC Solution or does it generate from scratch?

thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't say smooth...We have been very busy and finding the time to help others unfortunately took a back seat.

I know this company very well as we have been using their software for 13 years. I am a beta tester and I provide them with suggestions.

Currently the way HVAC solutions works is this way: We generate a schematic that has spaces. These spaces need data to pass to the equipment, I.e, temperatures, btus, etc. We connect everything up to equipment Including valves, filters, coils, etc. Once it is connected we hit calculate. Calculate will size everything. After that is done We hit select equipment. HVAC will go to manufacturers websites and download the exact models and put them in a folder called related documents. HVAC will also generate all of the schedules in excel. In revit we can than import the schematics and schedules. Ribbon.png

HVAC is currently working on adding shared parameters to the models that are downloaded and than those parameters will be scheduled with revit schedules. The issues they are encountering is there are thousands of parameters. So each piece of mechanical equipment will have all of the available parameters. Currently there is no way to add a parameter to a type, rather they are applied to categories. Meaning I will have a cooling coil parameter in my boiler family. Another issue is how the schedules will look. Every firm has their own way of how they schedule. I believe HVAC is working with Adesk on these solutions.

So long story short it's not there yet, but in the works, and for what we do it works perfectly fine.