Thread: disappearing command line box

Login to Give a bone

Default disappearing command line box

I first learned ACAD on release 9. Not only does this make me old, it also means that I'm much more comfortable using commands and command aliases instead of looking for a button or a pull-down menu. I depend on the command line a lot. However, bring involved in civil engineering-type projects, I covet the usable area on my monitor.

I recently discovered that I can make the command line all but disappear. Just like a tool palette, the command line can be un-docked, made to hide (roll-up), or become transparent.

Normally, out of the box, the command line is attached at the bottom of the display, 'docked'. Simply left-click and hold the command line box at the far left of the box, and drag it away from its position. If the toolbars are locked in position, unlock them, or hols the CTRL key while dragging. The command line should be free to move about the screen.

Right-click on the far left blank space (where the dragging occurred) to see options. These include docking, anchoring left/right, hiding, and transparency.

I'm still experimenting. I've got mine located on the far left-bottom of my screen, transparent, and hidden. Some commands require input at the command line while in progress, so there are times I want the window open and not hidden. Try it for yourself.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: disappearing command line box

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I first learned ACAD on release 9. Not only does this make me old, it also means that I'm much more comfortable using commands and command aliases instead of looking for a button or a pull-down menu. I depend on the command line a lot. However, bring involved in civil engineering-type projects, I covet the usable area on my monitor.

I recently discovered that I can make the command line all but disappear. Just like a tool palette, the command line can be un-docked, made to hide (roll-up), or become transparent.

Normally, out of the box, the command line is attached at the bottom of the display, 'docked'. Simply left-click and hold the command line box at the far left of the box, and drag it away from its position. If the toolbars are locked in position, unlock them, or hols the CTRL key while dragging. The command line should be free to move about the screen.

Right-click on the far left blank space (where the dragging occurred) to see options. These include docking, anchoring left/right, hiding, and transparency.

I'm still experimenting. I've got mine located on the far left-bottom of my screen, transparent, and hidden. Some commands require input at the command line while in progress, so there are times I want the window open and not hidden. Try it for yourself.
    Man, you really need a second monitor.

Good tip, though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Man, you really need a second monitor.
    Nah. I'm accustomed to the one.

BTW: it helps to use dynamic input if the command line is hidden.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

A nice tip.
    Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

I started on Rel.9 as well. I use all the hotkeys I can possibly change, such that any command is 2 keystrokes or less. I also use 3 monitors and there is no way to go back once you have. It would be like backtracking on a motorcycle, it is not as much fun as the first pass.

Login to Give a bone

Just a little food for thought...if you can master using dual-screen, it can increase your output up to 30% haha.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I keep mine hidden all the time and use the dynamic input feature.

When I need to see my command line CTRL+9 up pops my 3 lines along the bottom of my screen.... CTRL+9 and its gone.

Most of the time, I like to have that extra space on my main monitor so usually what I do is hit my F2 button and my CAD window opens up. I have that set up on my second monitor so I can read whats going on on that screen and CAD on the other. I use to be one of those people who though one screen is better but now that I have the second screen it makes a differece especially with space. I have my xref manager, properties manager, Design center, and sheet set manager all set up on my second screen. No need to cloud up my main screen with all of that stuff.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    I keep mine hidden all the time and use the dynamic input feature.

When I need to see my command line CTRL+9 up pops my 3 lines along the bottom of my screen.... CTRL+9 and its gone.

Most of the time, I like to have that extra space on my main monitor so usually what I do is hit my F2 button and my CAD window opens up. I have that set up on my second monitor so I can read whats going on on that screen and CAD on the other. I use to be one of those people who though one screen is better but now that I have the second screen it makes a differece especially with space. I have my xref manager, properties manager, Design center, and sheet set manager all set up on my second screen. No need to cloud up my main screen with all of that stuff.
    Wasn't it starting with 2013, hitting F2 expands the command line interface, rather than bringing up the separate command history window?
    Obviously something changeable, but, worth noting to someone just starting with one of the newer releases.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Wasn't it starting with 2013, hitting F2 expands the command line interface, rather than bringing up the separate command history window?
    Obviously something changeable, but, worth noting to someone just starting with one of the newer releases.
    Okay, just tested it out, duh. Keeping the command line docked, f2 still opens the window by default, but, leaving the interface in it's default location, it flies out instead.

(I keep it in the default position at home on my 'troubleshooting and writing' machine, but, docked here at the office. )
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost