Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions for the candidates

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar

Default A few questions for the candidates

First off, thank you candidates for stepping up to volunteer your time and energy to improve the organization. I would hope that since only 3 of you will be joining the board in 2012, the rest of you continue down the path of volunteering for the organization. There is much to do beyond sitting on the board. The best of luck to you all!

Question 1) In your opinion, what is the primary purpose of AUGI as an organization?

Question 2) In your opinion, what do you think of the concept of charging dues for those members who wish to receive more tangible benefits such as online training and a paper version of AUGIWorld?

Question 3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums? By answering these questions above you will provide that information.
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

Default Re: A few questions for the candidates

David,
    Thanks for getting the communication going!!!
    1) In your opinion, what is the primary purpose of AUGI as an organization?
    AUGI is an organization that brings people together from around the world, to spread both general Autodesk, as well as industry focused knowledge.

AUGI provides users a gateway; for every Digital Design based industry to obtain Autodesk solution support & networking. AUGI also provides programs & support for people from around the globe to meet and learn from each other, share their knowledge for the betterment of their respective industries.

2) In your opinion, what do you think of the concept of charging dues for those members who wish to receive more tangible benefits such as online training and a paper version of AUGIWorld?
    As a Board Member every responsible idea should be explored to help grow AUGI and its Membership: including such ideas as dues that could advantage users with exclusive benefits. -I would hope this is one of the first orders of business we'd address if I am elected to the Board..

3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums?
    To be completely frank; my current AUGI Username was registered in 2005 and I have over 40 posts on that one… Not a prodigious amount but I always try to provide good help when I do post. Most of my industry help comes in the form of blogging where I have shared hundreds of postings, mostly 'how-to's and extensive writings.

I mention the year of membership since I have been an AUGI member since the late 1990’s but have had to recreate my account due to previously misplaced usernames & passwords.
    Last edited by Jay Zallan; 2011-11-03 at 09:17 PM.

Hi David, Thanks for the questions.

Question 1) In your opinion, what is the primary purpose of AUGI as an organization?
    Augi have a great opportunity to become a real point of interest of people from different vertical market. The first point the AUGI MISSION... "users help users" and for me is fantastic becouse is important for a community to have the "share what you think and what you know" spirit. Is important to grow individually and with friends. AUGI is a point of reference and a point of view of the industries.

Question 2) In your opinion, what do you think of the concept of charging dues for those members who wish to receive more tangible benefits such as online training and a paper version of AUGIWorld?
    It is really a good question. I think that is too much important to have a solid economy inside AUGI to have much services and to help and pay who work for and with AUGI.
    Augi in not only a website. Is necessary to help users to understand what is the power of association with AUGI and I think that is important to have quality sercvices for users. Yes, I agree with the opportunity to have a different "affiliation" but is important to not lost the primary idea of AUGI... "help users".

Question 3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums? By answering these questions above you will provide that information.

Sorry, I'm italian... I not understand the question

Thanks

I think if AUGI goes that route there should be a choice of being paid member or staying as a dues less member. It is not a bad idea at all, especially if as a member that pays dues more benefits are offered. I think the members that pay would be more active, if you pay for something you tend to invest more effort into it. The online training is a great idea, especially in this economy.
    Last edited by David Gaskill; 2011-11-05 at 04:16 PM.

Beyond "Users helping Users", AUGI serves the Autodesk related industries and vertical markets as a means to market, inform, and train AUGI members. AUGI supports Autodesk's marketing, information, and user training through direct forum, online and inperson training through AUGI CAD Camps and AUGIWorld, as well as advertising support through all available digital and printed media.

I believe AUGI should charge dues for these benefits. The best support for any industry requires support from its members, and though AUGI shouldn't nikel and time its members, AUGI should expect its members to support the tangible products that are costing a fair amount of money to create. Otherwise, the membership might not have access to the information and products that set AUGI apart from other news services.

Question 3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums?

I have been a member for a long time. My current username Revitman was created in 2006, though I cannot find the actual number of posts, it has been a lot, at least over the 3 I've had today alone! I also had an earlier username prior to 2006, and possibly back as far as 1993, but cannot remember now what it was or how many posts I made using it. Beyond forums, I can also speak to having taught at least 100 people at the AUGI CAD Camp classes I have run since 2006. I continue to teach to this day...

AUGI is there to help CAD users better understand the software and keep individuals posted on current issues and what is new in the industry. Its a great resource for posting questions or issues that may arrise in everyday use of Autodesk products.

Wink Re: A few questions for the candidates

Question 3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums? By answering these questions above you will provide that information

I don't have many post but I am a lurker and visit the forums frequently, they are one of the first places I go (at least recently) to find answers to issues/problems I have.

Not sure why this was asked since it is listed on our avatar.

I am known as the go to person for software issues/questions and have a passion for the software. I am speaking at AU this year and have at several local users groups. I have taught CAD at the locat technical college.

I understand the need to have active members. I have been very active with the wish list. I have two wishes that have made it to the new releases of Inventor. I feel that a member can be active without posting on the forums, just my two cents. That being said I realize I should step it up and become more active.

One thing that may make posting on forums better (for some of us) is to find away to post images, most of use are visual people and can explain a concept much better with a picture than words (maybe there is a way now). Just my two cents.

It is my opinion as AUGI grows so do expenses. In my goals I stated it was important to keep AUGI free and pointed in the right direction. Both online training and the AUGIWorld are free to members. If at all possible, it should remain free. If it is too costly to keep providing services to members then I would support an all members vote on the subject. At this point, I do not know the financial state of AUGI or what is planned. Having great value to me, I would vote for dues as a AUGI member to keep those service available. As a board member, I would work hard with other members to keep it free.

AUGI provide a means for Autodesk users throughout the world to come together to share and learn from each other. It is a place to share experiences and network ideas and concepts making ideas become a reality.

AUGI Director

I think it is hard to chose just one primary purpose. In general AUGI offers a community for users from all over the world, and provides a location where those users can find everything from specific information on specific products, to job postings in our industries, to simple, idle chatter about random subjects. AUGI is really a way for all of us to connect with other people who share common interests. If we want to narrow AUGI's main purpose down to one, I would say it should be AUGI's goal to satisfy the needs of its members in the most efficient and effective manner possible.

I think this is a valid idea. If we were to charge dues, I like the idea of a tiered model of membership such that there would still be a free membership, but then people may upgrade if they wish. I think all the basic benefits of AUGI should be free; after all, the goal to keep AUGI free to the members is likely a part of why so many of us volunteer our time. In addition, I think it will turn some members off a little to see that not everything is free. This would definitely be something to discuss.

Question 3) What is your post count in the AUGI Forums? By answering these questions above you will provide that information

I have never been the one to sit in the front of the class and raise my hand...I am more of a sit in the back of the room/go unnoticed kind of gal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast