See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Pipe Tags, Annotation

Login to Give a bone

Default Pipe Tags, Annotation

I'm taking my first stab at plumbing in Revit MEP 2011, and all was well until I started tagging.

The job is an addition to an existing building, and the mechanical extent is two evaporative coolers. I've modeled existing cooler supply water lines (Standard) and drain lines (Sanitary). There are four types of pipe in the project:

Existing Cooler Drain
    Existing Cooler Supply
    Cooler Drain
    Cooler Supply

I need to tag the existing pipe with a prefix '(E)', and new pipe with no prefix. I need the cooler drain to tag with suffix 'CD' and cooler supply with suffix 'CS'.

Are 4 different types of tags necessary to accomplish this? When tagging pipes, can Revit tell the difference between the four types, or will I have to manually switch tags when tagging different pipe types?

Additional info: I've used phasing to differentiate between Existing and New Construction, I'm just not finding a way of associating the phase of a pipe with the tag for that pipe.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Tags, Annotation

2012 made this much easier with system abbreviation built into the pipe system.
    You can do this in many ways.
    Either use an existing parameter i,e "comments" and create a tag with the comments parameter. Another option (recommended) would be to name your piping types what you want to tag them and than create a tag that see's type name.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    Either use an existing parameter i,e "comments" and create a tag with the comments parameter. Another option (recommended) would be to name your piping types what you want to tag them and than create a tag that see's type name.
    Wow. I hadn't thought of renaming the pipe type That worked beautifully, considering it took 60 seconds (everything was already tagged) and it solved one of my major problems today

Now, I added something to my OP, maybe after you read it the first time:
    Quote Originally Posted by ckidd View Post
    Additional info: I've used phasing to differentiate between Existing and New Construction, I'm just not finding a way of associating the phase of a pipe with the tag for that pipe.
    Can I use Revit's Phasing to take care of the rest? Should I have different tags for existing and new, or should I be using different pipe types for existing and new?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

There are some things that are still undefined in Revit MEP.
    Tags are based off parameters, it's really however you want to do it.
    Other issues are UP/DN tags for pipe and duct in addition to (E). You can either create visibility states with (E) as a prefix or UP/DN as a suffix within your family. So you have 1 tag, multiple options depending on how YOU want to tag it.