Thread: Repeating detail - can't use a detail with other nested detail components?

Login to Give a bone

Default Repeating detail - can't use a detail with other nested detail components?

In an effort to create a brick repeating detail that will maintain 3 courses per 8 inches up a tall wall (for modular brick), I tried creating a detail component and nesting in 3 brick detail components. Then I tried to set my repeating detail to be the new family. But when I drew the path line, nothing showed up.

Can repeating details not use families that have other details nested in? That doesn't make sense. I tried making the brick component both shared and not shared, and neither way worked.

So how the heck am I supposed to do this? I need an array of 3 bricks that is 8" high, and the preferred method for doing arrays in families is to array a nested family, especially since I want both the "module" height and number of bricks per module to be adjustable for different brick sizes. Otherwise I have to try to array a bunch of filled and masking regions in a family, and that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The issue is that using the standard modular brick detail component as a repeating detail results in a sizable error in height up a 2 story wall, i.e when you have 120+ courses involved. By repeating a detail of 3 bricks exactly 8" tall, and then using 1 or 2 separate bricks at the top if needed, I could save a lot of time when placing the bricks in the detail.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by patricks; 2011-11-09 at 09:45 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Repeating detail - can't use a detail with other nested detail components?

I just tried it with this same family and it works just fine ... Your using a fixed distance for the layout of 8"? and you made sure to pick the right detail?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Repeating detail - can't use a detail with other nested detail components?

Hmm odd, I just tried it in a new file and it worked this time. Not sure what was happening yesterday. I added a 4th brick off to the side in that family, and the repeating detail was showing that 4th brick only and not the first 3. Now it seems to be working correctly.

*edit* well now I just realized I can set the repeating single brick detail to "Maximum Spacing" with a spacing of 2 171/256" (closest to 2 2/3") and it will maintain the coursing height all the way up the wall, provided you make the length of the repeating detail to be a multiple of 8 inches.

So the family I posted above really isn't necessary. And if you use the single brick detail, the repeating detail will tell you how many courses of brick you have.
    Last edited by patricks; 2011-11-10 at 02:36 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I toyed around with rolling my own repeating detail mainly since you can't keynote a repeating detail.

I nested the detail component into a line-based detail component, set up the array, added some parameters and math, and what do you know... my own repeating detail that keynotes!

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah - when you have the time to make them, linebased families absolutely win the race over repeating details:
    1. They can have different start and end conditions
    2. They can be tagged/keynoted