See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit loading family slowly

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Revit loading family slowly

I have a question regarding the time it takes to load a new family in Revit. It is affecting XP and Windows 7 users, so I don’t think that is an OS issue. It is taking a long, long time for some user’s computers to load a family using the Revit “Load Family” command under the Insert menu on the ribbon. We’ve checked the “File Locations” paths under options, as well as the “Places” icon. The file paths to the server appears to be accurate and we updated them anyway. We checked the Revit.ini file to see if some paths were still sourcing the old server name and it was clean and correct. Can anyone think of any other Revit to Server pathing locations that it might be trying to source while bringing in a new family?

The computer I am using has a fresh install of Revit 2012 and I don’t seem to have any issues, although a lot of my paths are defaulted to my C:/ Drive (and subsequent folders) and only a few have the server pathed correctly. Everyone else is still pathing to the server but having issues.

More Info: We upgraded servers 2 weeks ago and that is when the problems started to happen.

UPDATE: IT is in fact a profile issue. Same computer, two different people logged into it, one had an issue, the other didn't. Recreate the user's profile. Thanks Norton!
    Last edited by rbcameron1; 2012-10-09 at 09:08 PM. Reason: more information added

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit loading family slowly

Having allot of stuff on your profile, and desktop affects win 7 perfomance more acutly I've noticed. I keep it all to a minimum, and put my files locally to the C;/drive, with only shortcuts on my profile/desktop. Servers like a clean roaming profile.
    Another tack might be the families need upgrading, or saving in a compressed state. Autodesk Labs has a cool programe that upgrades whole directories from older format, to new. However manually compressing via the saveas & options, gaurentees the best state. Unless someone writes a script & shares.