Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Post Revit SSD & backup files

Our new computer stations will have two drives:
    -120GB expensive Intel SSD for OS, AutoCAD, Revit & very large Revit files
    -500GB regular HDD for general file storage and software

I will obviously want to minimize the amount of obsolete files on the SSD when working on large projects, but I will also place very large local Revit files on this drive to improve responsiveness.

Is there a way I can prevent my backups form being made on the SSD and have them sent automatically to a folder on the HDD drive? I know that Revit like to take over as much space as it possibly can and I would like this to happen far far away from our expensive and precious SSDs.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit SSD & backup files

I am in the process on building a new computer and am considering on using a SSD drive to run my OS, and other programs such as Revit and AutoCAD.

Do you find this much faster? are the benefits worth the extra money for an SSD?

Login to Give a bone

The two computers that have this feature are actually installed on two other users. I've not had the opportunity to do benchmark testing yet.

My only observations so far is that the computer and Revit loads fast. They do not use Revit yet, but it is installed on there.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Revit.exe and the RVT files will load noticeably faster on a SSD drive; however we found that CPU speed is the key determinant in the best scores on the AUBenchmark tests.

Login to Give a bone

I am very interested to learn if there is a way (maybe via some sort of .ini file) to tell revit to backup somewhere else.
    I will say though that autocad and revit DO load much faster and upgrade projects much fast on a SSD drive.

Login to Give a bone

How large are your guy's backup files that they wont fit on ~120gb average sized SSD??

I work in Revit MEP 2011 mostly, with project files ranging from 20 to 240MB every day, and the backups are usually fractions of the whole project size. Of course factor a few hundred more MB for all the Revit links and their backups, but still we're talking 5GB for the whole ball of wax on a LARGE project. Add in a Windows 7 install, Revit MEP, some drivers, and very few other other apps (install the majority on your mech. drive) and we're at around 32GB total space used on the SSD. 32GB. That's a $50 SSD drive. Not very special or precious if you ask me. Of course we'd like a bit more headroom than 32GB, and we're not total cheapskates, so get a nice 128GB drive (Crucial M4 is going for about $110) and be done with it.

Leave your backups alongside your project, they're probably not taking as much space as you think. If you must, hit save-as in your project, click "options" and set the number of backups to a reasonably small number and save over your old file. (make sure to check make central if workshared)

Finally, performance wise, I concur with most of the above posters on this. The machine will boot quick, Revit will load a bit faster, and if your project is over 100MB you MAY notice a few seconds shaved off the load/save process, but considering a mech drive will do 80-100MB/sec in practice, and we're loading from a single file, the SSD ain't gonna make a whole lotta' difference. Now I'm a firm believer that every little bit helps, and with their prices becoming quite reasonable lately, by all means go for an SSD if your budget allows, just (as with life) don't expect miracles..

Login to Give a bone

CPU and RAM will make the most difference on real performance while actually working in the project. I run a 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black HDD in my office production machine and have no problems with it at all. The Core i7 processor and 12 GB RAM is what really makes it a great performer.

Login to Give a bone

I can't help but to think however the an SSD drive will help when saving and opening local files. Maybe even upgrading files.