Thread: Frustrating Shift Click Bug: Please Advise

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Frustrating Shift Click Bug: Please Advise

Hello,

I'm having terrible trouble working with Navis Works. I have used it several times in the past and am acquainted with the program and this bug. Basically I send my revit model over to it and begin to organize my selection tree into specific sets. Randomly though the shift click function (selecting multiple items at once on the selection tree) simply refuses to work. This has been happening to me on Navis Works 2011 and 2012.

Are there any work arounds to this or fixes? Does anyone else experience this?
    Is there any other way to select multiple similar items in the selection tree? (Such as selecting all items of the same type in Revit)

Thanks,
    Bobby

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Frustrating Shift Click Bug: Please Advise

Yep, I have the same bug...and the same frustration. I often resort to ctrl click and picking each item in the list.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, this bug has been around for a while. With each release, there is hope that Autodesk will address this...but they haven't. The only work around I'm aware of is to use the shift down-arrow instead of shift click.

Login to Give a bone

I usually resort to the shift + down-arrow as well. I wonder how something rather small in the user interface can make it through so many releases.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
    I usually resort to the shift + down-arrow as well. I wonder how something rather small in the user interface can make it through so many releases.
    I've got a LOT of wonderings about some of the issues with NavisWorks. That's why I have so many Wish List items in the que..

One that get me is you can sort the batches but, can't sort the rules. Ohh, and finding out how to sort the file names in the selection tree took a lot of hunting and finally a user on here told me how it's done.

I pretty much tell people that when they switched from Autocad to Revit, they had to take off thier Autocad hat and put on a Revit hat. When you switch to NavisWorks, you take off the hat, put on a curly blonde wig, heavy eyeliner, some blush, some bright lipstick, and a flowery summer dress. It's definitely different....

It's nice when it all works though..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have noticed some interesting behaviour, and wonder if is is a 'Design Feature' not a bug.

In Revit, Shift Click is for deselect. Ctrl click is for select.
    In Navisworks (Simulate 2013 working on a dwfx from Revit)) I have found that Shift click selects an entire appended model. Shift click again, selects the next tier (sub model/link), the next the part type (roof, wall, etc.) then next the wall type, then the individual wall.

This may be really annoying if it is not the behaviour that you are expecting, though really handy if not...

Login to Give a bone

try press the SHIFT + CTRL keys at the same time while selecting the items (i.e 1st and last items in the selection tree)