Thread: 120V, 3 Pole, Multi Branch Circuit

Login to Give a bone

Default 120V, 3 Pole, Multi Branch Circuit

Hello,

This question requires a little bit of electrical distribution knowledge in order to make sense of it, but here it goes!

I'm trying to make a "Multi Branch Circuit" that has three 120V circuits with a Shared neutral. Per NEC 210.4(B), the three circuits need to be simultaneously disconnected at the point where the branch circuit originates; meaning at the panel board circuit breakers.

To accomplish this, I want to make a 3-pole circuit; which would result in a 3 pole breaker shown on the Revit panel board schedule. The problem with this is that Revit will not let you create a 120V, 3 pole circuit because it thinks that I'm making a three phase circuit which has a voltage of 240V or 208V.

Has any other electrical engineer come across this problem or even thought about this before? I've drafted something to attempt to describe in pictures what I'm trying to do, please see the attachment.
    Thanks for any input,

Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 120V, 3 Pole, Multi Branch Circuit

After you have created the separate circuit for each item. Drop in a Junction box with 0 load and do not circuit it to any panel. In a working view draw a wire from teh junction box back to the individual circuits that wire will show a single neutral hot and ground on the tick marks. From the Junction box draw a home run and label it. The label should show 3 circuits and the homerun will show a single neutral with 3 hots and a ground.
    The panel should read the individual circuits.

Login to Give a bone

William,

Thank you for your response. I can see how your approach would allow me to show the three circuits on the homerun tag; however this circuit breakers would still show as single pole breakers on the panel schedule.

Login to Give a bone

Then try a similar approach connect the receptacles by wires to the junction box with the appropriate load on each receptacles, do connect them directly to the panel. The junction box should have 0 load but set up to be as a 208 V /3 pole connection and power that directly to the panel.