Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Programs at Work

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Default Install Programs at Work

Just would like to hear from you if you are happy when the IT department prevents you install programs on your pc at work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Install Programs at Work

They should ask you what software and why you need (not want) it before they say "no".
    In general, I don't blame them.

Login to Give a bone

your PC, or a company PC? presuming it's a company box, then IT has the responsibility for whatever is on the machine. Would you want to be held accountable for something that somebody else is doing? Why should they?

If it's a publicly traded company, then there are substantial liability and legal issues that they have to skirt around.

However, portableapps.com and a thumbdrive are very handy things to have for useful stuff that's not mission critical. nothing is installed, so everyone should be happy.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Given that I'm the first one who often comes across problems created by these programs (I'm not even IT!) I would prefer users don't install whatever comes to mind. For example, a group of users decided they needed to run registry cleaner apps despite the fact they didn't even know what the registry is. Not to mention the one user who wanted me to install his bootleg copy of AutoCAD for him. Uhhhhmmm... NO.

As cadtag noted, its the *company's* computer, they just let you use it. A fine but important distinction thats frequently lost on casual users.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    Just would like to hear from you if you are happy when the IT department prevents you install programs on your pc at work.
    Fortunately, I am also part of IT/IS and therefore have control over what can be installed, and I'm generally OK with the decisions I make.

But seriously, I agree with the others above. We have to look out for average joe, so he/she doesn't install something that will kill the machine, kill the network, suck up more than their share of resources, etc.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

They have set a rule which prevents all people to install any programs, even if you want to repair your AutoCAD, Trueview, Design Review, etc.
    People can't do anything.
    The IT guys are the only ones can get your windows updated and even upgrade the AutoCAD for next version. You can't add/remove any Autodesk library shipped with AutoCAD without their hands!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

One of the problems with letting people install programs is that they don't read the ELUA. A lot of shareware or freebee programs are not allowed in commercial use. It could be devastating to pay for a couple dozen programs on a dozen or so computers, even if they are not actually being used.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I can only imagine the chaos if users were allowed to update their AutoCAD installs on their own, let alone vertical products. Naturally, only after the stuff hits the fan and things start failing do they come and demand everything be fixed. There are reasons why I spend 6 months to a year checking, developing, and testing before anybody sees an update.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    They have set a rule which prevents all people to install any programs, even if you want to repair your AutoCAD, Trueview, Design Review, etc.
    People can't do anything.
    The IT guys are the only ones can get your windows updated and even upgrade the AutoCAD for next version. You can't add/remove any Autodesk library shipped with AutoCAD without their hands!
    My company was that way as well.

It was a bit of a pain, but, I kept a book in my desk while I waited for IT to finally show up and fix whatever needed fixing.

(I will admit that it eventually got to the point where I was basically waiting for them to put in their credentials, then pushing them out of the way so I could do what needed to be done (rather than waiting for them to read through whatever dialogs and being about to click the wrong thing and me over their shoulder going NO!) and they added an exception for me as a 'power user' to be granted administrative rights on all of the CAD/plotting stations on our campus.
    At any rate, it's got to be frustrating to be shackled, but, unfortunately, we've got to follow procedures for the greater good. We've got some folks around here that I barely trust to turn on a computer, let alone anything else.)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

cadtag and i had a lovely discussion about this topic a while back.

BoKirra - to access the repair functions for those software products you list, you need to have a certain level of acess/rights to the machine. With this access/rights also come a lot of other abilities, which your IT department might not want you to have access too.

Depending how your software is deployed it is possible to have a locked down system, where repairs to common problems (i.e. cascadeinfo.cas) can be resolved via a scripted fix in the start menu. A lot of this support comes down to colaborating with the IT department about creating solutions to problems your currently having or future proofing against common issues.

One of the roles I do in my company is the deployment of all CAD software, with this i'm setting up the software, preconfiguring it to the companies requirements, setting the appropriate permissions, copying down required additional files, etc...

As i mentioned in the discussion with cadtag, at one point we had 9 pieces of software doing the exact same things because people where getting admin rights to install the software themselves. We have now with tighter controls been able to help standardize our software, providing more consistant work in both look and content.

old thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=111940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast