Thread: printing enahancements

Wish List Administration

Default printing enahancements

Summary: Revit's printing has had slow and minimal improvement, it still lags far behind AutoCAD, ADT and many competing products.

Description: Revit's Print dialog should be able to filter page sizes -- in 25yrs of using autodesk products I have never used anything other than A4,A3,A1 (why do we have to scroll through a randomly ordered list of hundreds of sizes every time we change print/PDF device ?);
    Revit should be able to save printer and page setup defaults like AutoCAD, which behaves very well in this aspect, (rather than just giving unhelpful 'setting incompatible with printer' messages);
    Revit should have an option to set both Model and Drafting linetypes as non-printing (We only have either reference lines, not available in many view types, or make them white, which causes undesirable graphical artefacts where they cross other linework);
    Revit should add [save to PDF] as a option with inbuilt PDF export, and have more naming options, including the current sheet revision added to the filenames; it should also autoname single sheets not just multisheet prints;
    Revit should have an option [Window Selected Area] from any view, rather than creating a new view just for a partial, one-off print;
    Revit should have an option [Do not print tags with '?'] (i.e. labels with no text entered);
    Revit should have an option to make multisheet prints a single job, spooled as one set, (At present double-siding etc is not possible and jobs get mixed up with others in the queue. I have lost count of how many times someone has sent a several hundred page job to the printer and discovered later it was been mixed up with several other jobs and had to be redone).

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: kris treagus on 11/11/2013

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: printing enahancements

Printing Enhancements

Summary: Revit's printing has had slow and minimal improvement, it still lags far behind AutoCAD, ADT and many competing products.

Description: Revit's Print dialog should be able to filter page sizes -- in 25yrs of using autodesk products I have never used anything other than A4,A3,A1 (why do we have to scroll through a randomly ordered list of hundreds of sizes every time we change print/PDF device ?);
    Revit should be able to save printer and page setup defaults like AutoCAD, which behaves very well in this aspect, (rather than just giving unhelpful 'setting incompatible with printer' messages);
    Revit should have an option to set both Model and Drafting linetypes as non-printing (We only have either reference lines, not available in many view types, or make them white, which causes undesirable graphical artefacts where they cross other linework);
    Revit should add [save to PDF] as a option with inbuilt PDF export, and have more naming options, including the current sheet revision added to the filenames; it should also autoname single sheets not just multisheet prints;
    Revit should have an option [Window Selected Area] from any view, rather than creating a new view just for a partial, one-off print;
    Revit should have an option [Do not print tags with '?'] (i.e. labels with no text entered);
    Revit should have an option to make multisheet prints a single job, spooled as one set, (At present double-siding etc is not possible and jobs get mixed up with others in the queue. I have lost count of how many times someone has sent a several hundred page job to the printer and discovered later it was been mixed up with several other jobs and had to be redone).

Wish List Administration

Printing Enhancements

Revit should be able to save printer AND page setup defaults on one page like AutoCAD, which behaves very well in this aspect, (rather than just giving unhelpful 'setting incompatible with printer' messages);
    Revit should have an option [Do not print tags with '?'] (i.e. labels with no text entered) and hide Underlays;

Wish List Administration

Printing Enhancements

Description: Revit's Printing should have the options to:
    * set print as Vector or Raster per page (Raster works best for pages with large images and Vector is best for linework but the current all-one-only on a project set leaves either graphics as distorted\unreadible or linework to light to read);
    * show preview thumbnails for multipage prints (like Word or Chrome, a small preview can display an entire 100+ page document and instantly see how changes to print settings alter margin\scaling\colours\etc);
    * filter page sizes -- in 25yrs of using autodesk products I have never used anything other than A4,A3,A1 (why do we have to scroll through a randomly ordered list of hundreds of sizes every time we change print/PDF device ?);
    * save printer AND page setup defaults on one page like AutoCAD, which behaves very well in this aspect, (rather than just giving unhelpful 'setting incompatible with printer' messages);
    * set both Model and Drafting linetypes as non-printing (We only have either reference lines, not available in many view types, or make them white, which causes undesirable graphical artefacts where they cross other linework);
    * add [save to PDF] as a option with inbuilt PDF export, and have more naming options, including the current sheet revision added to the filenames; it should also autoname single sheets not just multisheet prints;
    * option [Do not print tags with '?'] (i.e. labels with no text entered) and hide Underlays;
    * borders crop regions with a specified lineweight, so interior elevation views don't have missing or inconsistent borders;
    * make multisheet prints a single job, spooled as one set, (At present double-siding etc is not possible and jobs get mixed up with others in the queue. I have lost count of how many times someone in our company has sent a several hundred page job to the printer and discovered later it was been mixed up with several other jobs and had to be redone).