See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Creating, or Updating 2D Section Views from 3D drawings

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating, or Updating 2D Section Views from 3D drawings

To All you 3D Experts Out There,
    For once I've run into a problem going from 3D to 2D. I'm trying to create 4 separate 2D Sections, and Elevations based on my updated 3D Piping drawing.
    I see that it was done once on the original, so I tried to "duplicate" the updated views without any success.
    I've also read through a few of the Forums, without much success in finding an article yet that truly covers how to do this "IN AUTOCAD".
    I actually was able to create my section views in REVIT and export the drawing(s) out in dwg format to my customer and it was easier than trying to set this up in AutoCAD. I just had to "Explode Everything" before importing into REVIT, and once I got the import to work correctly, I simply made my views and exported back out into AutoCAD.
    Seems like a lot of work just to get a few "2D" sections.
    Any help such as where to locate the pull-downs, tool-pallets, ribbons locations or modes (such as being in the 2D mode vs the 3D mode, or 3D modeling) or maybe even the actual command, that I can type in.

Thanks in advance,

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating, or Updating 2D Section Views from 3D drawings

Can you please upload a sample drawing so the big guys (not me ) here can understand what exactly you want to draw.
    BTW, this is the sub-forum for people to share their tips but to raise questions.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe what you're looking for is the command FLATSHOT

Login to Give a bone

I missed this the first time around.

FLATSHOT inserts a block - that's okay but it will not update when changes are made to the model.

IME, the only way to have multiple views/sections that update automatically is through the DView command (with CLip option for sections) and save as a named VIEW.

And, yes, this is the wrong forum - "Post ONLY tips or tricks. This is NOT a Q&A forum for AutoCAD." - but you're not the first and you won't be the last.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Creating, or Updating 2D Section Views from 3D drawings

Hi,
    Try using the 3DCLIP command.
    Whilst in paper space working through an unlocked PS viewport, set in the orientation of the model assembly as you want to see it. This is easily achieved by rotating your ucs to the direction of the view you want. You can use the PLAN command to set the view so that 3DCLIP will clip your assembly as require.
    Whilst in model space through the PS viewport issue the 3DCLIP command. You will get a dialogue box that will allow you turn front & back clipping planes on/off as well as being able to move them through the assembly to get to the slice or section that you want to create. Once you have exited the command use the HIDE command within the viewport to check what you are going to see when the you plot. Regen the viewport, then you can adjust as required using the 3DCLIP command..
    Be aware that if you are using a black back ground in model space you will not be able to see one of the clipping planes, I think its the front one. If you change your back ground colour to grey say, then it will be visible. Be aware that large models take a while to load in the 3DCLIP dialogue box. Zooming in this box is sometimes difficult.
    Best of luck

Cheers

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tip, CADDmanNZ - and for confirming what I consider to be a bug with the behavior of the recent 3DCLIP command.

In Autocad 2010 and earlier, when you exited the 3DCLIP command (I use a lisp that simplifies the clipping setup) you could see only the objects between the clipping planes (and what you are going to see when you plot) without the need to use the HIDE command. In Autocad 2011 and 2012, when you exit the 3DCLIP command, along with the clipped view objects, random objects are visible that are outside the clipping planes and they are also selectable, which is highly undesirable when trying to edit only the objects inside the clipping planes. This is (or was) another benefit of 3DCLIP: You could "isolate" objects for editing in a 3D model from any view point, even plan view. Sure, using HIDE makes everything appear right, but anytime a regen occurs - or is needed, say, to pan the view - the random objects appear again. I miss the old 3DCLIP and can't understand what happened - or why there aren't more people complaining about it.
    Last edited by bnorman.266862; 2012-02-05 at 09:54 PM.