Thread: Creating, or Updating 2D Sections from 3D Piping Drawings

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating, or Updating 2D Sections from 3D Piping Drawings

To All you 3D Experts Out There,
    For once I've run into a problem going from 3D to 2D. I'm trying to create 4 separate 2D Sections, and Elevations based on my updated 3D Piping drawing.
    I see that it was done once on the original, so I tried to "duplicate" the updated views without any success.
    I've also read through a few of the Forums, without much success in finding an article yet that truly covers how to do this "IN AUTOCAD".
    I actually was able to create my section views in REVIT and export the drawing(s) out in dwg format to my customer and it was easier than trying to set this up in AutoCAD. I just had to "Explode Everything" before importing into REVIT, and once I got the import to work correctly, I simply made my views and exported back out into AutoCAD.
    Seems like a lot of work just to get a few "2D" sections. So far I haven't received any help, so I'm now posting in several forums including the AutoCAD General to see if anyone knows how to do this.
    Any help such as where to locate the pull-downs, tool-pallets, ribbons locations or modes (such as being in the 2D mode vs the 3D mode, or 3D modeling) or maybe even the actual command, that I can type in.

Thanks in advance,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating, or Updating 2D Sections from 3D Piping Drawings

For elevations you should only need an appropriate view direction within a viewport.
    For sections there is the (old) SOLVIEW/SOLPROF (commands) method but it's a PITA and views do not update when the model changes.
    Then there is the VIEW (previously DVIEW) + LIVESECTION method which does update.

Look up "sectioning" "live sectioning" and "sectionplane" in Help and see how you go from there.