Thread: Surface Section with Imported Revit File

Login to Give a bone

Default Surface Section with Imported Revit File

hi, i just want to ask if it possible that we can do section views on a certain topo surface that has an imported revit file like a building structure? what i mean is, when i want a section, i aslo want that the surface together with the imported object will give me a section view so that i can estimate the volume of excavation. thanks guys.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Surface Section with Imported Revit File

If and only if the excavation for the object (building basement) is part of the Revit Surface.
    Otherwise NO, you will need to create a surface or edit the Revit surface to include that excavation using feature lines or Wall fault (breaklines) to get your volumes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjfarrell View Post
    If and only if the excavation for the object (building basement) is part of the Revit Surface.
    Otherwise NO, you will need to create a surface or edit the Revit surface to include that excavation using feature lines or Wall fault (breaklines) to get your volumes.
    hi, can you give me a concrete example on how i can manage to get the volume cut? knowing that i have the surface data points of the finish floor building... what specific attempts should i do? have you encountered this kind of problem before tat has a link tutorial? tnx.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I can give you two possible methods; one being easier to explain in text than the other.

I haven't made a tutorial for this operation. However this is how I suggest you procede.
    First I would export the revit surface using LANDXML. The purpose for this is that you will most likely be performing some edits to the surface to incorporate the excavations into it so we will work on a copy of that original surface supplied from the Revit source. After you export the Revit surface, rename it in the prospector; this so the surface names will not conflict when or if you reimport the XML version you just exported.

You will want to assign a style to the surface that allows you to see the surface points.
    Within the areas of the building footprint(s) you will want to perform the surface edit of Delete Points.
    We are removing them so that they do not later overlap or interfere with our grading objects/feature lines/breaklines.

Around the building perimeter create a feature line (draw polyline and convert)
    Assign the correct top of founddation elevation to this feature line.
    Then edit the feature line, and use the STEPPED OFFSET to offset some small distance to the inside of the building (0.001) with the correct elevation difference to get you down to the bottom of the basement foundation. You now have feature lines that define the top limits of excavation, and the bottom for the building. Do this for all buildings if there are more than one. Be aware of any 'steps' in the building finished elevation and model accordingly.

Now ADD these feature lines as breaklines into the surface in pairs for each building. These will be 'STANDARD' breaklines.

After all the buildings are added in you may create a Volue surface to Compare the original ground surface to the FG (SUB GRADE) surface to get you excavated volumes.

Another method to do this begins in a similar manner, only would use WALL FAULTS as breakline definitions for the foundation elevation inputs. That method is not described herein as it is best shown how to do this graphically, or in an instructor led situation as I normally present it in my class settings.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Let me excuse any delays in answering your questions in advance, as I am currently working in Doha, Qatar on a training assignment. So there could be some time shifting involved here in attending to your questions.

Login to Give a bone

hi mjfarrell, thanks for the quick response. i have tried your procedure but to be honest, i cannot really visualize it. i have having ard time. if and only if you have more time, can you give me some quick illustration of this? or rather a step by step tutorial if possible. i only want to know the volume of excavation base on the existing surface level and the final basement level. but these basement are not on a flat surface. thanks.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

send me your data....@ mjfarrell earthlink net
    and the basement elevations
    and top of footing elevations

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjfarrell View Post
    send me your data....@ mjfarrell earthlink net
    and the basement elevations
    and top of footing elevations
    hi mjfarrell, the one you gave me is an email add or something? does it have "_" or "." before the net? thank you so much. i apprecaite it a lot. i am looking forward to give you the data.. thanks ahead.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the data.
    I would like to have ad the building top of stem wall elevations, and the bottom of basement, or foundation elevations to work from. However you should be able to see the general concepts.

As I often tell my students in class.

The data is not important
    The Process of what to do with the data is.

So remember, It is not the data, it is the PROCESS.

http://primeservicesglobal.com/tutor...oundations.mp4
    Last edited by mjfarrell; 2011-11-28 at 12:16 PM.