Thread: copy components between two linked file

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default copy components between two linked file

Hi All,

I have two files that I am linking Arch+Struct disciplines.

Unfortunately the Copy/Monitor tool doesn allow me to copy in some Slabs (those whose shape has been editing with vertices control points) plus some openings dont show up in slabs.

What is the quickest way to copy in some object from one file to another including Components Types?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: copy components between two linked file

Copy/Monitor is one of those tools that doesn't seem to work the way it is intended. We pretty much use it for grids and levels and that's about it.

If you have both projects open, you can copy/paste from one to the other.

What exactly are you trying to do? When we link a structural file into ours, we use their steel, slabs, etc, and turn ours off. For cmu or concrete walls, we modify ours to match theirs and turn theirs off because we need walls in architectural. We don't generally copy/paste elements from structural into our model.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: copy components between two linked file

Quote Originally Posted by renogreen View Post
    Copy/Monitor is one of those tools that doesn't seem to work the way it is intended. We pretty much use it for grids and levels and that's about it.

If you have both projects open, you can copy/paste from one to the other.

What exactly are you trying to do? When we link a structural file into ours, we use their steel, slabs, etc, and turn ours off. For cmu or concrete walls, we modify ours to match theirs and turn theirs off because we need walls in architectural. We don't generally copy/paste elements from structural into our model.
    Yes I Copy/Monitor it useful but can be used just to some extents. Generally I have some elements from structural model which I want to have as editable in my Arch model - in order to control them better.

The problem with copying from one project to another is the alignment of elements. The two project are using shared coordinates which are not taken into account when copy/pasting. Another thing is that if I copy/paste I get all material types from other Model and I dont want to mess up my model and waste time to clean up. Hence I thought the Copy/Monitor was useful to select and map the types already in my object.

The problem with this is that these slabs have some openings done as GENERIC MODELS which dont copy in..
    Should I paste in just those generic models maybe once I have all slabs copied with copy/monitor? Unfortunatelt alignment then is an issue..and not easy.