See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Parametric Modular Family - How to create?

Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Modular Family - How to create?

Hi fellow Revit users,

I am trying to create a downpipe shaft as a module, and make it as a family which can adjust to the number of shafts necessary based on the project input accordingly.

How do I go about doing it? Is there any tutorials somewhere where I can follow?

Thanks and in advance!
    ~ Ctan

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Modular Family - How to create?

Welcome to the forums! It is always helpful to post an image of what you are trying to do. There are family editor tutorials out there (just google it) but it might be more helpful to know exactly what your desired result is.

-LP

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your reply.
    Yep, simple parametric family I am aware.

Let me try again.
    I've created this basic shaft as a parametric family.
    This is only for one floor/storey.
    (refer to attached)

I would like to put this into a project whereby I can determine an overall building height through specifying multiples of this family (eg 40 sty) and it can be automatically calculated and if I should change the width/depth/floor-to-floor height of the individual module, all instances will be updated accordingly and then the overall height of the building will also be adjusted accordingly.

So in short, the variables that I am looking at is
    1. no. of storeys
    2. width/depth/floor to floor height of the module

I am imagining that I might need to house a family within another family. I can't really find any tutorials on this. Or is there a specific term for such a family?
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If I understand what you want correctly, I think the solution could be simply this:

1. Add a "Height" parameter. Dimension your extrusions so this parameter controls their height.
    2. Add another parameter, call it "Floor to Floor Height" or something like that.
    3. Add a third parameter, "Number of Storeys".
    4. Create a formula in the "Height" parameter that is = (Floor to Floor Height) * (Number of Storeys).

That could be enough. When you change the number of storeys or the floor to floor height in your project, just edit the corresponding parameters of your down pipe and it should all update. This method would require only one down pipe instance that goes from ground floor to roof.

Would this method work for what you're looking to do?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree. No nested families are necessary, just make sure your shaft extrusion and pipe extrusions are both locked to the reference plane that is controlled by the "Height" parameter damon described.

A note of caution. This type of construction might be better suited to actual project geometry such as walls and shaft openings. There are often times where floor to floor height will vary between stories. (eg. ground floor to 2nd = 14'-0", 2nd floor to roof 13'-0") If this is the case your family will not be able to adapt without some additional customization. If you use model geometry you can tie the elements to their appropriate levels so that as your building flexes your shaft flexes with it. Just a thought.

-LP

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Or what about even more simple: make your "Height" parameter an instance parameter and just lock the top and bottom of the instance to the levels you want? Super simple.

I like LP's suggestion, too, though. Using walls and shafts makes a lot of sense. Then maybe this discussion is only about the down pipe itself, not it's enclosure.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

What about creating this with a Column family instead of generic model? Then you could set the top and bottom to specific levels, and include offsets as appropriate.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lpiburn View Post
    I agree. No nested families are necessary, just make sure your shaft extrusion and pipe extrusions are both locked to the reference plane that is controlled by the "Height" parameter damon described.

A note of caution. This type of construction might be better suited to actual project geometry such as walls and shaft openings. There are often times where floor to floor height will vary between stories. (eg. ground floor to 2nd = 14'-0", 2nd floor to roof 13'-0") If this is the case your family will not be able to adapt without some additional customization. If you use model geometry you can tie the elements to their appropriate levels so that as your building flexes your shaft flexes with it. Just a thought.

-LP
    I am sorry I came back to this thread so late.
    Happy new year everyone!

Exactly that!! I understand sometimes the floor to floor height may change from project to project. I was thinking if it were possible to set a generic model family that can be adjusted accordingly for different projects, so as to save some time instead of creating new families for new projects. May have to be nested? I don't know..

It is definitely possible to create it as a separate walls and shafts in the project itself.

PS: This is a simple example which I am testing out, and once I grasped the idea, I will use it for many other families, since the company I am working with deals with mainly residential high-rises, so I foresee this might be useful. At the end of the day, BIM is supposed to save time as well, right?

Thanks for the suggestions! It's always good to know how the other REVIT users think.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post
    What about creating this with a Column family instead of generic model? Then you could set the top and bottom to specific levels, and include offsets as appropriate.
    This is something I didn't think of. I will give this a try. Thx!