Thread: Wall Assembly Editing

Login to Give a bone

Default RE: Wall Assembly Editing

Quote:
    Question 4: Could you recommend method to create brick shelf in conc. fdn. wall?
    I've found it easiest to do a host sweep at the edge of slab -- then join that geometry to the foundation wall at the detail level.
    A method that I find works well is the following:

If you have a 12" foundation wall with a 4" brick shelf, create the wall with one 8" layer of concrete and one 4" layer of concrete.

You can then unlock the top of the 4" layer, and lower it either by dragging it or via the properties dialog.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Assembly Editing

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg
    A method that I find works well is the following:

If you have a 12" foundation wall with a 4" brick shelf, create the wall with one 8" layer of concrete and one 4" layer of concrete.

You can then unlock the top of the 4" layer, and lower it either by dragging it or via the properties dialog.
    Very nice tip Andrew. Simple to do and retains the parametric qualities of the wall. This would be a good one for the FAQ forum and / or Tips & Tricks.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Robert.

There is one caveat, and that is when the wall is cut in section and viewed in medium or fine detail, the border between the two concrete layers show, & the linework tool won't eradicate it.

The way I get around that is to place foundation walls in their own (previous) phase, and that clears the problem.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg
    The way I get around that is to place foundation walls in their own (previous) phase, and that clears the problem.
    How so? (Haven't had a project that used phasing yet.) Overriding the settings for that phase?

Login to Give a bone

If you use the default Revit template phasing, two phases are set up, "new construction" and "existing".

All the views default to new construction, & thus, anything created or placed, ends up in the new construction phase.

If you select all the foundation walls, go to properties and move them back to "existing" , or, in settings, create a new phase(ed: before new phase) called "foundation" & place them there.

Then, assuming your section view is set to new construction, with the filter set to "show all", the walls will grey out & no longer show a cut fill. If you don't want to use the grey (thinner) lines that show for previous phase stuff, you can go into settings/phases, graphic overide tab, and change them to match the current phase.

The other nice thing about this approach is that you can create or duplicate a 3d view, set the phase to match your foundation walls, and you get a 3d foundation plan, which makes it easier to study where you want brick shelves to begin & end.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the clarification Andrew. Do you also use the foundation phase to create your foundation plan drawing as well by putting basement columns, windows, window wells, etc. in the same phase, or is it mostly a working method used to aid in the modeling stages? I ask because Aaron Rumple has recommended using worksets as a way to be able to view the foundation from the top without having the first floor walls and other model objects show up. It seems like using your phasing methodology might offer similar benefits. I would guess that either method could be made to work but that each probably has its own pros & cons.

Login to Give a bone

Do you also use the foundation phase to create your foundation plan drawing as well by putting basement columns, windows, window wells, etc. in the same phase, or is it mostly a working method used to aid in the modeling stages?
    I'll put any items needed to construct the foundation into that phase.

If you don't want to deal with the overhead associated with workgroups, phasing (with some custom filters) is another way to split up a project.