Thread: RMEP Pipe Systems - Old way vrs New way

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default RMEP Pipe Systems - Old way vrs New way

http://appliedsoftwareblog.blogspot....n-methods.html

The link above is my first post on this subject. What I would like to know is "how" you piping folks want the Pipe Systems to act. The old way is that Pipe Systems are a sub-set of the Parent System, such as Domestic Cold Water would contain DCW1, DCW2, etc as you create systems. The new way is to duplicate the Domestic Cold Water system in the Family list of the project, rename accordingly and then assign fixtures to the duplicated system. The two have different results as they are added to the overall bldg system: the old way now combines systems when piped together. So, DCW1 would absorb DCW2 when plumbed together (or vice versa). In the new way, the duplicated name will stay and not be absorbed.

Eventually in the old way, all cold water would end up on the same system name. In the new way, systems are maintained as defined and stay separate even if plumbed together.

I think the advantage of the old way is the eventuality of everything being on the same system, which would be nice for an overall bldg flow chart for example. The new way will keep the flow chart itemized to the areas assigned to the duplicated system.

Which way makes more sense to you plumber types out there? Btw, this also applies to duct systems, so any thoughts on that will be appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RMEP Pipe Systems - Old way vrs New way

Separating systems is harder to manage. There is still some tendency for the software to group the pipe on each system differently than you may wish.

My own preference ... to be featured in an article in the next AUGI World mag ... is to put everything together that pipes together. Only when divided by equipment do I separate systems. I usually create a different HW system for each water heater. This is the most straight forward application of the features in the software, so requires less tinkering, and so far has provided all I need for documentation.