Thread: New duct and tapped duct on current layer, not correct duct layer.

Login to Give a bone

Default New duct and tapped duct on current layer, not correct duct layer.

Hello,

Here's the scenario:

When I insert a new duct, the layer (and color) it comes in on is my current layer (e.g. M-TEXT)- not the defined supply/return/exhaust layer. The system is correct. If I correct the duct's layer and hit + to branch off of the duct the tap and branch come in as my current layer (again, M-TEXT), not the duct system's layer and therefore not even what I've changed the duct to. This happens for both ducts and fittings.

I have copied the Style Manager --> HVAC Objects from a drawing that is working correctly and that fixes the problem, but I want to know what's actually going on vs. the copy and paste fixit method.

I have looked at the Layer Key Styles for both the malfunctioning drawing and the properly working drawing and they're identical. I even copied one into the other and that alone did not correct the problem. The layer defaulting to my current layer is happening somewhere else.

Thought and, even better, solutions, are highly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New duct and tapped duct on current layer, not correct duct layer.

Hmmm, that's definitely a weird error. I have never seen this nor can I recreate the error to even try and find a solution but my suggestion would be to check your Template that you're starting from. Did this drawing start from the Aecb template file, or just some random file you might have opened and started designing?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New duct and tapped duct on current layer, not correct duct layer.

On the presumption that ACA and AMEP work in a similar fashion in regard to Layer Key Styles, it is not enough to have the correct Layer Key Style in a drawing (one drawing can have multiple Layer Key Styles), the correct Layer Key Style must also be set current in that drawing. There is a Layer Key Style called <Current Layer> that is built into the program that, when current. places newly created AEC objects on the current layer.

One way to check, and set, the current Layer Key Style is in the Drawing Setup dialog (Application Menu [big red A in upper left] > Drawing Utilities > Drawing Setup in ACA, perhaps AMEP is similar; otherwise, type AECDWGSETUP at the Command: prompt). On the Layering tab, in the Default Layer Standard area, use the Layer Key Style dropdown list to see and set the current Layer Key Style.