See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 3D Section Box, only specific object

Login to Give a bone

Default 3D Section Box, only specific object

Hi Everyone,

I've got a distinct feeling this won't be possible, but I've had a request from someone I work with to find out. The Architects in our firm want to show a 3D view of a site containing numerous buildings. All but one building are modeled as simple 3D extrusions in a site plan to give a sense of the main building's position, with the main building a linked Revit file. What the Architects want is to be able to cut through the main building with a section box, to reveal a view similar to the one shown in Sketch 1 (attached).

I'm sorry I can't send images of the actual project we are working on, but it is a prison and hence we are not allowed to show any images of it to anyone not authorised to see it.

We can easily produce similar cut throughs on the building, but the architect doesn't want to cut through any of the surrounding site details, just the main building. So as far as I can tell, we almost need a section box within a section box, with one showing site details and surrounding building as full height, and a second one showing the building cut through at a specific level.

As I said, I'm pretty sure this is not possible in Revit, or at least I can't even begin to think of how it would be achieved, but I had to ask. I'm not sure why these details are required, I'm a strucutral engineer, not an Architect, I'm meerly the messenger.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Section Box, only specific object

Create two 3D views. In one view turn off everything except what you want to see in section. In the other turn everything on except what is in the other view. Add your section box to the building view and then stack the views on a sheet to combine them. The views will snap into alignment on the sheet if they are the same scale and orientation.

Login to Give a bone

Great, thanks for that. I'd never have thought of using two views.

Login to Give a bone

I would suggest you create the first 3D view, lock it using the button at the bottom left of the view next to the sunglasses, and then duplicate that view and make the needed changes. Keep both views locked so that the rotation, orientation, etc. will always stay the same.