Thread: rotated callouts maintaining project orientation

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default rotated callouts maintaining project orientation

We have a project that - big surprise - has a portion of the floor plan rotated 30 degrees from the majority or the plan. Placing plan callouts in the angular portion of the plan is proving challenging for the following reasons:
    1. Placing the callout box orthogonal to the plan view means the detail view maintains the plan orientation but the detail view is cropped with no relation to the elements being detailed.
    2. Placing the callout box in the plan view so it is aligned with the elements being detailed is desirable, but the detail view gets rotated so it is no longer relative to the parent view. This is problematic when the column grid lines in the detail are not shown at the same angle as they are in the plan view.

Anyone find a workaround for this issue? I tried:
    1. using a scope box but that did not provide any options for separating the detail crop from the callout rectangle.
    2. making a detail line callout box and hiding the real callout box doesnt really address the issues, besides the fact that it hides the callout bubble.

How I would really like to see Revit behave is to allow the initial crop boundary in a detail view based on the callout box, but any changes to the crop boundary made in the detail view would be dissociated from the original callout box. This would include height and width of the detail crop boundary as well as its rotation. Essentially, any crop modifications made in the detail view would NOT modify the callout box.

Attached pdf should open showing two views per page for the two attempts and a third page for more or less what we want the detail view to look like.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by macqueen.pooler; 2012-02-01 at 07:26 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: rotated callouts maintaining project orientation

Short answer is no, you can't do what you're after.

However, if it's more important that the crop box/detail view are cropped the way you prefer than it is to have a live view of the model you could draft your work in a detail view and then place a callout that references it. The crop boundary of a drafting view, or any reference view for that matter, has no association with view.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Actually, there is a way to do this. I found this by accident, so it may be considered a "workaround". If you rotate true north 30 degrees (parallel to your rotated plan), then set your view to "true north", do a callout, then set your view back to project north, the callout will remain perpendicular to "true north".

Login to Give a bone

Another workaround would be to create your callouts in a plan view that you won't be printing and set the callouts' orientation to what you want on your detail sheets. Then go to the plan view that will be printing and make new callouts using the "Reference other view" option checked; these callouts will have the correct detail and sheet references and you can rotate them without effecting the orientation of the details.

Login to Give a bone

Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for.