See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Concrete Beam Joins

Login to Give a bone

Default Concrete Beam Joins

I am joining a 3 concrete beams as foundations from two parallel walls with an shorter angled wall connecting. On some walls the join works and chamfers the end correctly, however my issue is that over a certain angle it doesn't graphically represent.

I've attached two screen shots of how it does look and how I need it to look.

Does anyone know if you can change the setting of this angle or a solution (other than using a precast element)

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Concrete Beam Joins

Here are some ideas:
    1. make them wall foundations instead of beams then they should join correctly
    2. make them Walls (short and wide) and use parameters to differentiate them with filters on schedules
    3. if you have to use beams, we've found that the joining is pretty unforgiving. One trick you could use would be to take advantage of the sloping joins. We've noticed that when beams are sloped into a join, they just miter together (which seems like what you want in this case) but then they'll have the intersection line which you'll have to remove with linework or masking region. Just select both beams at the join and give them a common elevation of 0.005" or something like that. then cleanup the linework. It's not a pretty workaround but maybe it will work for you.
    Best Wishes,
    Zach
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2012-02-14 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Removed link.

Login to Give a bone

Cheers appreciate your time to reply.

will give those options a go and see what happens.

Thanks!!

Login to Give a bone

No worries, Happy to help.

Let us know what you found

-Zach

Login to Give a bone

Unless you have all 90 degree corners with columns at centers and nothing offset, you'll run into this on every concrete beam framing plan you do. Oh and I should mention if they are different depths, you're in trouble as well.
    Concrete beams simply do not play well with each other, or with other objects in Revit.

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave,
    Would you be able to elaborate on the issues you've mentioned? are you finding that concrete beams are not joining and cleaning up properly? Sounds like something might not be working right when they are different depths?

Thanks,
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

Login to Give a bone

All of the above Ken.
    Doesn't matter on depth either. Someday nothing cleans up.
    Delete it and start seems to be the best workaround I can find.
    When that doesn't work, I just drag the beam out past the face and use the opening by face tool, because it's so much fun to use.
    I'm sure they work great if you're doing a square box, but outside of that...... not so sure.

Login to Give a bone

Nice thread!
    Helpful to know that I'm not alone in some of these issues!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Nice thread!
    Helpful to know that I'm not alone in some of these issues!!
    No Ted you're not alone.
    I've given up. We had our reseller here a little while back (you know the guy with the "Certification"); he didn't have answers either. I asked him to just come up and sit down for 30 min so I could show him all the little issues. I get the deer in the headlights look along with a "Wow, that's some really complex geometry". What I didn't get was a solution.

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave,

We would really like to understand the issues you're seeing in more depth. Do you have any rvt file snips you could share? Especially any where you have some joins that you have had to extend and use opening by face to fix. Any dwgs, pdfs, etc might also be helpful? I can tell you exactly what the "rules" are that were implemented though they are somewhat complex. The basic idea was that we would determine the two main priority beams in the join and apply a join type to them and then let all other beams in the join just run into that main 2 beam join. Priorities are determined based on creation order, size, elevation. The join types for priority 1 and 2 beams are butt, miter and square-off depending on the angle between them. I would like to try and understand what you're trying to achieve and see where the default rules aren't meeting your expectations. The more information we can gather about real-world cases the better chance we have to adjust the functionality in a future release.

It's also possible that bugs have crept into the functionality and if so, I would love to find them with your help. We can do a live meeting if that would be easier. Please send me a note privately and we can arrange something. I'll re-post the findings here for others to comment on as well.
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API