Thread: Autodesk Building Design Suite

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Building Design Suite

We are an architecture firm using AutoCAD Architecture and Revit Architecture. I understand that Autodesk will be discontinuing these software suites in favor of Building Design Suites. At some point in the near future, if we want to continue our subscriptions for Revit Architecture, we will be forced to purchase several products that we do not want or need, like AutoCAD Structural Detailing, AutoCAD MEP, Revit MEP, Revit Structure, and others. If so, how many customers need to say that they will not upgrade before Autodesk reverses its decision? Social networking movements have a very powerful voice these days (Think: Komen) and perhaps we can join together to exert influence on Autodesk’s forced upgrade policies.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Building Design Suite

In our architectural firm, we have multi-seat licenses of Revit Architecture Suite and our subscription is current. Our reseller contacted me today and told me that in order to continue to receive the benefits of subscription for Revit Architecture and AutoCAD we will have to upgrade to Building Design Suite, which includes software that we do not need or want (Revit MEP, Revit Structural, etc.). I have asked our reseller what it would cost to purchase subscription for Revit Architecture and AutoCAD only, instead of upgrading. She would find that out for me and get back to me with all our options. But, from the initial conversation I had about this with her on the phone, it seems that it will be more than a 50% increase over what we're paying now in subscription for the suite! Even if we suck it up and pay for the upgrade, which isn't inconsequential, the subscription alone on the Building Design Suite is 35% more than our current subscription costs. We are going to take a close look at the value that we're actually getting from our subscription vs. if we were to stop paying it and just upgrade as needed.
    I've already let our reseller know that this increase in cost with no useful benefits is not acceptable to us and that we may have to discontinue our subscription when the time comes to upgrade/renew.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We were told that we cannot "downgrade" if we just want just Revit and Autocad that we would have to "rebuy" our license at the cost of those products.
    I can't believe this post only has two posts. This is a problem.
    What Autodesk is doing is offensive.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We were told by our reseller that there would be no cost increase from the Revit Architecture Suite subscription to the Building Design suite subscription. I have had access to Revit 2013 from the building design suite, and it has Structure and MEP built into it, they not separate programs included with it. I think in the future 'Revit Architecture' will not be available, as everything will be incorporated into 'Revit'.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Revitaoist View Post
    We were told by our reseller that there would be no cost increase from the Revit Architecture Suite subscription to the Building Design suite subscription. I have had access to Revit 2013 from the building design suite, and it has Structure and MEP built into it, they not separate programs included with it. I think in the future 'Revit Architecture' will not be available, as everything will be incorporated into 'Revit'.
    There is no upgrade cost right now, but your annual subscription cost will be higher if you move to the higher-end suite of programs.

I could stop if I wanted to charliep's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

See my thread "New subsciption package" http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...iption-package

I could stop if I wanted to studio3p's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ahboggan915844 View Post
    We are going to take a close look at the value that we're actually getting from our subscription vs. if we were to stop paying it and just upgrade as needed.
    I've already let our reseller know that this increase in cost with no useful benefits is not acceptable to us and that we may have to discontinue our subscription when the time comes to upgrade/renew.
    We have considered the option of dropping our subscription, but the problem we've identified is the inability to add seats in the future without having to upgrade the entire studio. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

Login to Give a bone

I would have to agree that what Autodesk is doing is manipulating the user to pay more for features that I do not need and do not have time to learn how to use them even if the additional software is impressive. As a small operator I will not be forced into buying products I don't want for a significant increase in subscription costs. I am looking into purchasing Revit LT, but at the moment I cannot obtain this in Australia and my reseller has stated that, at this stage, there is no intention by Autodesk to make it available.