Thread: Ramps still don't play nice?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Ramps still don't play nice?

I'm trying to utilize ramps in my below grade parking, but there are a few issues with them. I've done some searching on this, but all the comments come from 4-5 years ago so I was hoping they had been resolved by now, but I'm not figuring it out.

1. Walls/columns can't attach to a bottom of a ramp (however they will to a sloped floor)
    2. Ramps will not join with slabs even with a constant material (in this case, concrete) This means linework tool is the only way to make it look right in sections.
    3. Can't place a spot elevation along a ramp at any point, even a defined edge. I need to place a reference plane and then put a spot elevation on that plane.

Is using sloped floors the way to go? What's the point of ramps then? Any solutions? (i'm half frustrated, half curious)

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ramps still don't play nice?

1. To create walls below a ramp, the recommended method is to draw a wall, and then cut the wall with a void. If the ramp is curve, the void needs to be created a a swept blend between 2 profiles.

2. Yes, ramps and stairs don't join to slabs. You might need to use Edit Cut Profile in section views.

3. I learned this solution from my friend Jeff Hanson: From a plan view, first put a spot slope annotation on a slab (if the slab is flat it will read "[no slope]". Then move the slope annotation to the ramp, now it will report the slope of the ramp. http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-...html#post35775
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2012-02-15 at 08:50 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Alfredo, it's making more sense now. It seems that sloped floors are the way to go. Can you tell me, what's the point of ramps if you can't get spot elevations / get slope callouts / join with other elements with like materials?

I've also seen that it's possible to create a Model Line that is aligned and locked with each break in the slab. However, the Spot Elevation doesn't seem to want to work with that either.
    Last edited by rtaube; 2012-02-15 at 10:10 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I don't know. Ramps just need to be improved by the factory. The fact that a spot slope annotation works when it is moved from a floor but not when it is applied directly on the ramp, looks like some things about ramps are still half baked.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rtaube View Post
    3. Can't place a spot elevation along a ramp at any point, even a defined edge. I need to place a reference plane and then put a spot elevation on that plane.
    I put a slope annotation in a top-orientated 3D view and then I cut and paste "same place" in my normal plan view - then it reads the slope just fine. Works for spot elevations as well.
    That move method sounded nice but I didn't get it to work.