Thread: Revit Architecture Rendering

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Architecture Rendering

Hello

I am rendering an animated walk through that is approximately 1 min long and contains over 170 light fixtures. The walk through has 800 frames in it as well. How long would a render process like this take? Does anyone have any shortcuts for reducing rendering time? (The lights are the feature of the walk though so I cant reduce their number)

Does anyone know of a good affordable rendering house that deals with revit? I have a deadline that is nearly approaching.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Architecture Rendering

Some tips:

1. Use a Section Box to "clip" out any model elements not needed for the scene.
    2. Turn off any lights that are not required--these require HUGE amounts of calculations and rendering time.
    3. Try rendering individual frames to .jpeg files, and then combine them into a movie with a movie editor(we use the built-in RAM Player in 3dsMax.)
    4. Photorealistic animations, no matter how you try, are difficult and slow in Revit.

For better, faster results, consider exporting to FBX and link into 3dsMax, which will do a much better
    and quicker job at rendering out the frames. You also have much better camera and lighting control, etc. in Max.

Or, take a look at Lumion or TwinMotion, which are "real-time" GPU/game-engine platforms. They are AMAZINGLY fast. However, they are not as "photorealistic" as ray-trace apps like Revit and Max which use Mental Ray or V-Ray rendering engines.

There are LOTS of rendering services that can take an FBX or DWG 3D export and render/animate your Revit model. Just Google search.

Personally, I'd recommend the Collada Plug-in into Lumion as the best current method.
    Take a look here: http://lumion3d.com/forum/index.php?topic=923.0

Good luck!
    Last edited by cliff collins; 2012-02-16 at 09:49 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Do the renderings 100 frames at a time (I can do about 100 overnight at medium), then stitch them back together in Windows Movie Maker.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Revit Architecture Rendering

Like I mentioned in item #3 above?......

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

No, not individual frames and not as JPG's . When you export a walkthrough you can pick a range of frames and they will save out as AVI. Do 1-100 one night, 101-200 the next night, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Try the Autodesk 360 rendering.
    it's cloud rendering with revit
    http://rendering.360.autodesk.com/

Login to Give a bone

For that type of animation, you should be using 3ds Max. Revit can do it, but it will take a very long time. If this is something that's going to be done on future projects, it'd be worth it to get one computer to use for dedicated rendering that you can hit go on and check it at the end of the week. The nice thing with Max, is you can set up back-burner and use every computer on your network. Each one takes a frame. The last time we had a big rendering job like that, we kicked employees out at 6pm (most were already gone) hooked up 120 workstations and hit go. Done in 10hrs.
    You could try the rendering 360, but they have size limitations for the basic set-up. If you're will to shell out some cash, it's not bad, but for that size, it's going to cost you some coin.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    For that type of animation, you should be using 3ds Max. Revit can do it, but it will take a very long time. If this is something that's going to be done on future projects, it'd be worth it to get one computer to use for dedicated rendering that you can hit go on and check it at the end of the week. The nice thing with Max, is you can set up back-burner and use every computer on your network. Each one takes a frame. The last time we had a big rendering job like that, we kicked employees out at 6pm (most were already gone) hooked up 120 workstations and hit go. Done in 10hrs.
    You could try the rendering 360, but they have size limitations for the basic set-up. If you're will to shell out some cash, it's not bad, but for that size, it's going to cost you some coin.
    Do forget to mention that there was over 3800 frames, with HD resolution in that animation. This was somewhat of a nightmare for our support person, because he noticed the "Team" didn't setup the model/backburner properly. So, he spent the night babysitting those 120 computers.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.